Question about 3 coil schematic

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slowburnaz, Jan 24, 2014.

1. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

I want to wire 3 coils and a switch (either a 2 position DPDT switch or a push-pull pot), such that 2 coils are active at any one time, and one coil is always in the circuit.

For example, take three coils, Coil 1, Coil 2, and Coil 3. With the switch in position 1, Coil 1 and Coil 2 are in parallel. In position 2, Coil 1 and Coil 3 are in parallel.

Would either of these schematics work?

[​IMG]
  2. line6man

line6man

Nope. The switch is wired for no sound in both positions, and the pots are wired for all coils to be parallel.

Since coil 1 is always in the circuit, you simply need a SPDT switch to select coil 2 or 3.
  3. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Duh! Trying to make this too complicated. :eek: That, and the pots I drew are not even a push-pull pot. Ugh... it's too late.

How might I accomplish this with a push-pull pot then? I'd rather save the space...
  4. bassbenj

bassbenj

A push-pull pot is just a pot (like volume or tone) with a DPDT switch on the back of it that operates when you pull or push on the knob. Since half of a DPDT switch is a SPDT switch... no problem . Duh.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

Coil 2 to NC terminal, coil 3 to NO terminal, coil 1 to common terminal. Common terminal to pot input.
  7. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Yup. Duh.
  8. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Thanks. Should probably be coil 3 to NO terminal.
  9. line6man

line6man

Yep. Fixed.