Question about a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Dec 2, 2012.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Okay this is my question. I have a electric bass, this is my first bass, It is with me almost 1 year, with this bass I started learning so I really never used another bass, only one time, one p bass I think but not was Fender, Nothing special I feel it was almost the same than my bass only have more action and less weight. Mine have more tonal variety.
    I Upgraded my bass with an active EQ only. I dont want to sell the bass, I will have another soon but you know this is my first bass I dont want it to go. Anyway I have 2-3 problems with the tone, it have variety but not that munch for metal, not that Distortion that I hear from bands. I know I cant turn **** in to gold thats why im going with a better bass, still I want that this bass have a better tone.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some bassist friends recommends me Active EMG pickups that is like $100 in internet. That is the best upgrade i can do? I need to say that my amp head is a normal amp not a bass or guitar amp, I change the speakers with subwoofers. Maybe I need a better amp head with all that effects that they have?
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You need a bass amp, and good speakers. Your bass is fine, leave it alone, focus on a bass amp. With bass, bigger is better, so find the biggest you can afford, and go from there.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If you want distortion worthy of a metal band you are going to need some overdrive, I prefer mine out of a pedal that built into a head.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Absolutely +1

No fooling. Your bass will sound great if you get a real bass amp and a real bass cab (NOT car speakers), as big as you can afford. It has nothing to do with effects either--those are fun, but NOT the key to good bass tone.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

better spend the money in a good head, well my speakers are 2 X 12" subwoofer 250W and they are made in USA so I think they are good. or there are differences? because they sound loud the problem is the tone, if I up the bass knob it sound bassy ok but not sound clear, you know sound perfect for smooth bass songs. If I up the treble too still have the smoothness only less bassy. If I use it normal the upper (finer) strings sounds like a acoustic guitar despite it is strung BEAD, anyway I dont know if that is normal for a bass I not have another bass here to compare. Anyway overall tone is a little muddy for my taste. Anyway going back to the speakers and the amp, the speakers I think they are good ( I bought the subwoofer drivers and take out the full range they have) and the amp? I know it is a cheap party amp with 6 line in imputs with treble and bass for each imput.
  7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Subwoofer speakers are only for the lowest frequencies, they lose almost all of the frequencies that make up "tone". You have put in "anti tone" speakers, guaranteed to F up your tone, and sound like mud. Taking out the full range drivers and putting in subwoofers was the exact wrong thing to do.

Don't fool around--get a bass guitar speaker cabinet, with the speakers that were designed to go in that specific cabinet. Or if you want, get a full-range PA cabinet, with the speakers that were designed for it specifically.
  8. bootsox

bootsox

if you want more crunch on the cheap, I'd ditch those coated strings and put some nickel or stainless roundwounds on it. the strings won't sound so dead that way.
    you should also move the bridge pickup closer to the strings.

you're probably best off getting a real bass amp
  9. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

As noted above, your problem is not your bass, it's your amp/speaker rig. Get a proper bass rig. The best bass in the world (whatever that means) would lack tone through your current rig.
  10. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

You have the best bass for metal. You don't need no stinkin' amp!

(but seriously, get a nice rig as other posters recommend. The rest will follow. Sort of.)
  11. lug

lug

Take your bass, go down to a local music store, and try it thru some real bass amps. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
  12. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

yep, get a proper bass amp...

you can play the worst bass ever through a good amp and it can sound good...you can play a $12000 boutique bass through the wrong amp set up, and it will sound like crap

and DEFINITELY ditch the black strings...those things give me the willy's just looking at them