Question about Ampeg B50R. Would you buy this particular one?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Audix99, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Audix99

Audix99

Hi all,

I found a used Ampeg B50R at a local store with asking price of $250.
    I really like its tone but its potential issues due to its condition is a concern to me.

The pots all work, but the volume pot is quite scratchy. I am not sure if it can be fixed with contact cleaner or not.

There are what look to be dried liquid stains (or what looks to be hard-water stain) on the surface that could be wiped off.
    The stains, which are pretty big, are running down on left side and back of the amp on a couple of places
    I assume that means someone some time ago spilled something on the amp and didn't clean it off.

But what really concerns me is that the transformer that's exposed on the back of the amp is completely covered with fine red rust.
    The transformer being completely covered in rust makes me to think that this amp has not been stored/maintained properly.

What do you think?
    Given its condition, especially concerning the rust-covered transformer, would you consider buying this?
    So basically, I am asking, "should I pull the trigger on it?"

FYI. If I am to get this, I will have to sacrifice my Acoustic 260 MKII mini-stack, which is really good amp except it is little lacking in high-end and bit muddy.

Thanks for your input.

2. ampeg2

ampeg2

If it's a b-50R ,I have one, I love the thing and would not sell i.t I put a value( Pristine cond.) at about 75.00..

3. Audix99

Audix99

So I assume that you are saying given its described condition, it's way over-priced.
    Thanks for your input. ;)
    BTW, other than the price, any concern over the rust covered transformer and long-term potential issues?

4. Linnin

Linnin

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No way I'd pay $250 for it.

7. ampeg2

ampeg2

actually mine shows a little LIGHT rust not a problem.

8. Audix99

Audix99

I will stay the hell away from that amp as you all advised.

Hearing from JimmyM is especially comforting, knowing he's our residential Ampeg expert. :D

I thank you every one of you for sending me to the right direction and stopped me from wasting my money.
    I will just keep using my Acoustic MKII as my bedroom practice amp. :bassist:

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Find one in better shape and I'd gladly pay $250 for it, though. But yeah, water stains are often a sign that it's seen better days.

10. ampeg2

ampeg2

Thats good news Jimmy, I under estimated the value of mine. Thank you.... by the way my vintage b-15 has round knobs instead of the chicken heads is that 60's correct? thanks again

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Yes. There were never chicken heads on Ampegs as that was a Fender thing and Everett Hull would never hear of it ;)