Question about Anchored Muting Video/Technique

Discussion in 'Ask Adam Nitti' started by Gladowsky, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Hello Adam,

I have a question regarding the D'Addario video you made for muting (Adam Nitti's Moveable Anchor Technique, YouTube).

In that video it appears that you are muting the fifth string, not only with your thumb as it floats from string to string, but also with your pinky finger. Is this an added, subtle mute to the mighty fifth string or does it only appear that way because you have it positioned backwards, in the direction of the fifth string?

Thanks much.

2. adamnitti

adamnitti

hi allen-

great question. this is something that was actually brought to my attention by a student many years ago as i was demonstrating some other technical stuff. at that time, i had no idea i was leaving the ring and pinky fingers 'behind' as i was moving across the strings. he noticed my hand doing that and asked me about it. i was like, 'oh wow… i guess i am!' :D i figured out it had started as a way for me to manage the muting of the B and E strings before i had formally adopted a more refined approach to my right hand technique. it remained a part of my hand position as an artifact… more a function of habit than anything else over time. however, if you use the movable anchor approach effectively and accurately, you don't need any extra help from those fingers. hope that helps clear that up! :)