1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question about black or white body binding and TRC on a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Josh Thatguy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I searched other Ric threads first, but ending up killing an hour drifting off on tangents since my question is so specific...

I'll be looking at a '76 4001 in a few days, available for me to purchase. It's a Mapleglo with black body binding and black TRC. Which got me thinking, since the past couple of Mapleglos I saw had white/crème binding... when did black trim get replaced by crème trim? Or were they available at the same time, by choice or chance? I like the look of the black (do I have to call it africanamerican to be PC?) binding on the maplego, but then again, a 4003 recently for sale looked classy with white trim.

While I wait for answers, I'm trying to figure out how my computer knows to put an accent aigu over the "e" in the word "crème". Maybe I can figure out how to do an umlaut over all my "o"s for that Motorhead and Blue Oyster Cult touch...

2. rekesbass

rekesbass

Black trim was an option up until the late '80's I believe..perhaps into the very early '90's but it was discontinued..now all basses come with white binding...personally,I love the black trim..especially on mapleglo..

3. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

I think the black looks better, too. What to look for..

Make sure the neck position pickup actually works. Most end up fizzling out.

Make sure the neck isn't bowed too badly. It's hard to adjust the rods on these basses. I recommend you have it done professionally, if you do buy it.

Look at the fingerboard/neck glue joint. If it's cracked, somebody tried to adjust the rods like you would on a regular bass, and the fingerboard is separating from the neck. Not good.

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Try these, too:

éøöœ®∂ß√åñµƒª§¢∞£º¥≥o≤çΩ©∂ƒ∆˚¬∑膶§ for starters.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

A Mapleglo of that vintage would not have come with black body binding. If it is surely a '76, most likely it was White and had its paint stripped. Black binding on Mapleglo was STANDARD from 1986 to '92, and during that time, it would also have had black neck binding, black plastic (TRC and pick guard), and black(ened) hardware. In that time period, it would have cost extra to have white/chrome trim on Mapleglo ("reverse trim" cost $50). After '92 and until 2002, Mapleglo went back to white/chrome trim and the black trim (reverse) was optional.

7. Jeff Scott

BT was optional back then, IIRC, so this bass very well could have come from the factory that way.

8. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Thanks to everyone so far for the input on the bass, and for the character/letter assortment available on my PC, Jeff!

Paul, can you be more specific?? JUST KIDDING. Turns out from some research that you are THE go-to guy on Ric info, so thanks for your input. I'm waiting to verify the serial number, as the seller gave me the four bottom digits from the jackplate but not the corresponding digits from the top part of it.
    It does have a black PG as well as the body binding and TRC, but has white binding on the neck, along with 3/4 (maybe 7/8, not full-width in other words) inlays. Open-gear tuners with no markings, too. Higain pups, not toasters.
    Until I see it in person in a day or two depending upon travel and weather, I'll keep researching Rics and checking back out here for thoughts from you guys and gals.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

It may have been a white 4001 that got stripped and finished natural.

10. Jeff Scott

Did you see them all or were they just squares? I did that on my iMac. ;)

11. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

I've got one of these as well. 1976, Mapleglo, black binding throughout. No evidence of a refin. I'll post some pics if I get a chance.

/rick

12. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    There are a number that came out from the factory with black binding and they were not ALL white....I had a nice 81 in Ruby with BT...I also had a maple with BT from 78 and it was not refin'd. They were not super common but it was a factory finish and trim setup

13. Josh Thatguy

Disclosures:
    Bear in mind, this one has black body binding, trc and pg, but WHITE neck binding... which is a bit confusing in a way.
    My travel plans have been delayed a day, weather-related. It'll be at least mid-week before I can see the bass in person.

14. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

While there are no absolutes when it comes to Rick basses, the 4001's with black body binding should have white neck binding. It seems that the black binding on the neck came in with the 4003's in the early '80s. There may be exceptions, like I said.

15. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses

all of the 70's basses that I have had with BT ALWAYS had white neck binding....the 80's basses were all BT including neck binding