1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about blend pot mod.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SquierJazz72, Nov 29, 2012.

1. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

I just wanted to ask a question about the mod I am planning, just so I know what to expect afterwards.

A have a low end Squier Jazz bass, still the stock wiring configuration, although I did upgrade the pots and tone cap to better quality.

I am planning soon to change the wiring configuration from volume/volume/tone to master volume/blend/ tone.

Jazz basses seem to be well known for losing a little something when both pickups are on full. I know mine does.

I am just wondering if this is a result of the way the separate volume pots interact, or if it is a result of the pickups both being on full at once.

Does anyone know if it will still do this when it only has one volume and a blend pot vs the standard two volumes.

It's fine if it does, I'm just curious.
  2. line6man

line6man

A blend pot is two volume pots on the same shaft. No difference in the circuit, except that you are adding a third volume pot that drops the output impedance further.

The volume drop when pickups are in parallel is caused by having the lowest impedance load on each pickup when the volumes are both up. Rolling either volume down increases one pickup's output impedance, and thus, there is less load on the other.
  3. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

Thanks. So overall, the behavior of the circuit, in that regard, will remain the same.
  4. burta

burta

+1 - yep a slight drop. My local luthier explained in a similar fashion.

I preference on stage on 1 single volume pot and blend, set the volume once, and then play with the blend, rather than playing with 2 knobs to blend.
  5. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

That's what attracted me to this mod as well. Being able to just set one volume control and then work with the blend pot and tone to adjust the actual sound. Just makes more sense to me, and I enjoy doing the mods.