1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about Boss pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

This is probably a stupid question, but Boss pedals ( The two I have anyway) have two ins and two outs. I am assuming this allows the pedals to run more than one signal chain off them. So if I am hooked up through the mono jacks like a normal set up and I have a Boss pedal at the end of my chain, does this mean I can run another cable from the other out on the last Boss pedal and any effect in that chain will only operate when the Boss is engaged. I guess I'm just confused as to how one would utilize this extra jacks.
  2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

Which pedals do you have?
  3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

TU2 and BF3
  4. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

On the TU2, one output is switched, the other is always on.
  5. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The BF-3 sends a stereo signal when you use both outputs, for bi-amping. The TU-2 sends 2 mono signals. I use one to send a clean (post-fuzz) signal to the trigger input of envelope-controlled effects. There are other things you can do with it but it's not a switchable AB box.
  6. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

Are they two designed outputs or is one an out and one is the send/return chain?
  7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Okay, so the BF3 will send the same signal through both outputs? So that I could for instance send my signal to 2 amps? Would the effects in the chain before the BF3 also be sent to both amps?

If I'm understanding you correctly, having my TU2 last in my chain, I could hook a cable to the "Bypass" jack and start another chain. For example I could place an envelope filter here? Would this eliminate the mute function?
  8. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

You can send the signal from the BF-3 to two different amps, but it's not the same signal: the flange effect sweeps from channel to channel in a stereo effect.

You can use either output of the TU-2, but you won't get a switchable signal chain that way.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Gotcha. Thank you.