question about cab size RE: sound

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave Supporting Member

ok, i am sorry if this has been asked before, but i am curious...

all other things being the same, if you have two 4x10 cabs on top of one another...is the sound different than to have one 8x10 cab?

for example is an ampeg fridge different sounding than 2 ampeg 4x10's? or the new fender (with, say, a super bassman 300).... does the 8x10 sound different than having 2 4x10's?

i ask because i was reading a thread recently where some people were saying that to really get the ampeg sound good & proper, you need a fridge...ok, well enough. but i wondered if 2 4x10's would do the same thing.

any thoughts at all welcome.

[​IMG]
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

An Ampeg fridge is 4 individually sealed 2x10, averts blowing up all the drivers if one blows out.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you look at the Ampeg fridge vs. the 410he, the only major tonal difference is the tweeter. They use the same speakers and have roughly the same internal volume per speaker, so they sound very similar. This does not play out with the 410hlf, though. The 410hlf sounds completely different. So the answer is "yes if that's the design goal, no if it isn't."
  4. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Just as a cautionary thing...it's impossible to answer that question as not all 410 cabs or 810 cabs are the same. If every 410 or 810 did sound the same, why are there so many brands? Just throwing that out there :)
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

To address the question, 8 in one is the same as eight in two, all else being equal.