Question about Fender American Deluxe action...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Hey folks --
    I have a Fender American Jazz standard and am thinking of picking up a deluxe to round out my arsenal as I'm looking for an active bass. Here's the problem... On my current bass, I can't get the action really low. I had it setup a few days ago, but when I brought it home, the strings were buzzing. They weren't at the store. So, I found a nice video on Youtube from an older gentleman who worked for a number of manufacturers. Since I have the tools, I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's how I currently have my bass set up:

E - 4/32
    A - 3.5/32
    D - 3.5/32
    G - 3/32

The neck is pretty straight, because the GC tech took care of that. There's an ever slight flex in it as it should. The A, D, and G strings are still buzzing and they shouldn't with those settings. It doesn't matter what Fender I play, they all have high action and don't seem to support low action like a Lakland, Pedulla, etc.

I know all basses are different, but should I just skip Fender and move onto something else with lower action? It's a must for me. I love to slap and pop and zip up and down the neck scale-wise. And to be honest, I haven't been very inspired to play because of it. For some reason though, I can't seem to get the Fender American Deluxe gas out of my head. It must be their sexiness.

2. elBandito

elBandito

Stop wasting your money on setups, and start with a good fret leveling first.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

A couple of years ago I picked up a great bongo that quickly passed through two talkbass members before me. It had string buzzing at what should have been very normal action. A good fret dressing cured that. If either one of the previous owners had gotten the frets dressed I doubt they would have sold the bass. I don't mind because I got it for a great price. BTW, I do all my own set ups and am very aware of how I like my basses to play and how to get them there. One fret a little too high can make it impossible to get a good set up.