1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about Fender American Deluxe action...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Knavery, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

Hey folks --
    I have a Fender American Jazz standard and am thinking of picking up a deluxe to round out my arsenal as I'm looking for an active bass. Here's the problem... On my current bass, I can't get the action really low. I had it setup a few days ago, but when I brought it home, the strings were buzzing. They weren't at the store. So, I found a nice video on Youtube from an older gentleman who worked for a number of manufacturers. Since I have the tools, I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's how I currently have my bass set up:

E - 4/32
    A - 3.5/32
    D - 3.5/32
    G - 3/32

The neck is pretty straight, because the GC tech took care of that. There's an ever slight flex in it as it should. The A, D, and G strings are still buzzing and they shouldn't with those settings. It doesn't matter what Fender I play, they all have high action and don't seem to support low action like a Lakland, Pedulla, etc.

I know all basses are different, but should I just skip Fender and move onto something else with lower action? It's a must for me. I love to slap and pop and zip up and down the neck scale-wise. And to be honest, I haven't been very inspired to play because of it. For some reason though, I can't seem to get the Fender American Deluxe gas out of my head. It must be their sexiness.
  2. elBandito

elBandito

Stop wasting your money on setups, and start with a good fret leveling first.
  3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

A couple of years ago I picked up a great bongo that quickly passed through two talkbass members before me. It had string buzzing at what should have been very normal action. A good fret dressing cured that. If either one of the previous owners had gotten the frets dressed I doubt they would have sold the bass. I don't mind because I got it for a great price. BTW, I do all my own set ups and am very aware of how I like my basses to play and how to get them there. One fret a little too high can make it impossible to get a good set up.