Question about Fullerton P-Bass finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tlc125, Jan 27, 2013.

1. tlc125

tlc125

I have a 1983 Fullerton '62 RI P-Bass in CAR. I'm the original owner, I bought it in Sam Ash in Jan 1984. I've kept it all original EXCEPT in mid '85 the neck twisted and the truss rod was loose inside the neck. Since at that time all production was offshore while Fender got their act together with the Corona plant, I wasn't having any luck getting the neck replaced. My repair guy at the time suggested I go with a Kubicki neck. It made a fantastic bass even better. The neck is on par with the best Lakland necks I've ever played (haven't owned one yet, but I want one eventually!) Anyway the combination of the neck, extremely light weight, deep contours that these basses are known for, and the great pickups make this a fantastic bass, and it's still my #1 to this day.

Anyway here's my issue (sorry about the long setup, but it's my first post!). The CAR finish has been wearing off in a few spots over the past few years, but it's especially deep in the contour where my right arm rests. Guess what's under the CAR? 3-tone sunburst!

I know in the pre-CBS days when Fender did a custom color, they often pulled a sunburst body off the line and oversprayed it with the new color, but has anyone ever heard of them doing this with the vintage re-issues? And if so, why? Did they feel this gave it a little more vintage vibe? Were they trying to be as true as possible to the originals?

Again, I'm the original owner, and I've never had a refin, so I was kind of surprised with this. I think it's kinda cool, though.

Thanks!
  2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

I think it goes back to the original logic that on any given day, even in the early 80's (and certainly in the old days) on average, there were more Sunburst finishes already at hand than any other color. If I'm not mistaken, I'm pretty sure Sunburst always was and still actually may be the most popular color and biggest seller.
  3. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers

A friend of mine has a fullerton '57RI strat, with the same story. A fiesta red finish, with underneath it a sunburst (2tone). So I guess it happened all the time.
  4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but I don't think this is a case of it "happening" like it did in the old days. I think they deliberately did this with the fullertons in order to mimic what used to happen.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tlc125

tlc125

Thanks guys, for your responses.

I wouldn't have expected that they did this on purpose to make 'em like they used to, especially since they didn't advertise that they did it back then. Seems to do it this way took a little extra time and cost them a little extra $.

Regardless, as I said earlier, I think it was a pretty cool surprise!