1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question about G-B Shuttle series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by brock29609, Mar 26, 2014.

1. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels Supporting Member

I've read that the Shuttle 6.2 is superior to the Shuttle 6.0 (tighter low end).

Q: Does the ShuttleMax 6.0 suffer from the same low-end sloppiness as the Shuttle 6.0? Or, is the ShuttleMax 6.0 tight like the Shuttle 6.2?

Trying to make a buying decision tonight. Thanks!

2. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

The x.2 shuttles (6.2 more so to compared than say the 9.2) from my understanding as explained by TB member Agedhorse (former GB designer engineer), have the built in HPF set at a lower frequency which in effect gives a bigger sounding, more extended, bottom end.

It's not that the 6.0 has a loose bottom, it was to make the 6.2 more lower freq. extended, like the 9.0 & 9.2. If anything some folks might find the 6.0 tighter as it has it's HPF set at a higher freq. point. Hope that makes sense.

3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

Shuttlemax (even the original series) have much deeper and wider low end than the initial contemporary versions of the Shuttle-the SMax heads are, IME/IMHO faaaaaaaar superior to the early Shuttles (3.0 and 6.0). The 6.2 has more low end than the 6.0. It sounds much better/satisfying to my ear....

I'd go with an SMax (any version) over a regular Shuttle (any version).

4. brock29609

So knowing that I like tight bass with cut-thru punch (don't care for the Streamliner's big bottom), but I also appreciate simplisity and portability, would you guess that I'd be happier with the Shuttle 6.2 or Max 6.0? Good tone is primary goal.

I hate heads that are too bassy. Love my GBE 600 tone, but it's too damn heavy.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Lomo is the man... Go Lomo !

Edit: my 9.2 (shuttle, not max) has a very quick and tight sounding bottom, I don't think you would be disappointed with either, but Lomo has first hand experience with the max series...

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I don't know or understand all the tech stuff so all I can tell you is
    I have a GB6.0 with 2x12t cabs
    I play G&L 2500s fretted and frettless actives removed with full coil tapping.
    I do not use effects. I run the eq mostly flat.
    This is the best sounding most clear powerful rig I have ever used.
    I have had just about every rig know to man and this is far and away the best imvho
    just saying

8. brock29609

Which 6.0 do you have? Shuttle or Shuttle Max?

I'm tempted to buy both the Shuttle 6.2 and ShuttleMax 6.0 and just resell the one I like least. My stack of heads is getting high. This will be my 4th and 5th, and I only plan to keep 1.

And I'm in the same situation with cabs.

9. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I've had the Shuttlemax 12.0 & now own the Shuttle 9.2 & Shuttlemax 9.2

The .2 version across the board adds more depth & warmth in the lows so yes a Shuttlemax 6.0 will have "sloppiness" or in more descriptive terms... aggressive grindy thin zingy low end

Maybe thats what you want... maybe you have an overly warm cab & need that aggression. Maybe your bass is Mahogany & rosewood & is dull & the 6.0 will grind it up

So... few other things in play for you to chew on

10. brock29609

Well, based on your comments the .0 series might be better for me. Thanks for comments.

11. biobass

biobass Supporting Member

I have the original Shuttle 6.0 running the older Berg HT112/EX112 (i.e. Not the ER or the HD series). In store tests, not on the gig, but a direct A/B comparison, I found very little difference between the 6.0 set with the Bass Boost on, Bass at 2:00; mid, mid-freq, and treble at 12:00 vs the Shuttle 6.2 with bass boost off, bass, mid, mid-freq and treble at 12:00. I tested extensively with my '65 Jazz with TI Jazz Rounds and my Roscoe Beck V with TI Jazz Flats. If you have speakers with a "bigger" low frequency response than my Bergs you might get different results. The lower range offered by the 6.2 set flat was not enough to make me buy it as a replacement for the 6.0.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Dennis

12. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler

Lomo is correct. Original ShuttleMAX does have lower HPF than original Shuttle 6.0.

As well, the LF Boost filter extends the HPF lower along with adding some bump in LF Gain. With the ShuttleMAX the level of this filter is adjustable. On the Shuttles this filter is set to a fixed level.

Hope this helps.

13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

I have a Shuttel 6.0

14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Tonewise any of the Max heads would be a better choice.. consider the Max heads like having 3 heads in one.. you have the tube channel, the FET channel which I believe is like the Contour heads.. and the blended channel.. which gives you goo gobs of flexibility.. It is a little more complicated but not too much so.. nothing that a few hours of playing with it can't fix. Portability wise either of them are a good fit.. The Shuttles are smaller .. You won't get a Max in your gigbag.. but the Max weighs under 7 lbs ... it's just a bit bigger than the Shuttles.

15. KJung

KJung

Just to clarify and directly answer the OP's question.

The Shuttle 6 was quite differently voiced than the Shuttle 9 or (at the time) the three Shuttle Max heads (6, 12, 9). The reason was that the Shuttle 6 was designed to primarily be used with the quite low end attenuated Shuttle cabs, and hence had a hi pass starting very high. You could lower that hi pass a bit with the 'bass boost' control, but it still sounded (depending on your preference) thinner and brighter than the Shuttle 9 or the Max heads.

The '.2' upgrade for the Shuttle 9 and the Max 12 (the Max 9 always had the 9.2 updates, and the Max 6 was discontinued) was quite subtle. A tweak to the power management circuitry, a touch hotter input gain structure, and a slight revoicing of the voicing buttons for the Shuttle amps.

For the Shuttle 6.2 update, the voicing was moved to be identical to the Shuttle 9.2 (in part, due to the MASSIVE upgrade to the newer Shutte cabs, which KILL). So, the 6.2 became noticeably more full and fat down low, and as a result, a bit less bright up top by comparison.

So (whew!) long winded way of saying if you had a Shuttle 9 or Max 12, not really worth updating to the .2 models. If you had a Shuttle 6, the update to the 6.2 is substantial (and a substantial improvement IMO and IME).

That all being said, the extra EQ of the Max heads (two semi-parametric mids), the dual channels (FET and Tube), and most importantly (IME) the variable voicing filters versus the 'all or nothing' buttons on the Shuttle heads, makes the Shuttle Max 9.2 the deal for me (or the 12 or 12.2 if you have need to run two 4ohm cabs).

16. brock29609

Thanks, Jeff! Would the Shuttlemax 6.0 be the closest in tone (and power) to my GBE 600? My goal is to get a lighter version of that awesome amp.

17. KJung

KJung

That would work pretty well, but there weren't many of these made (they were discontinued quite a while ago). The Shuttle Max 9.2 would be the thing for you for sure if you can find one (same size and weight as the Max 6, with more wump). They come up on the classifieds on occasion. Stay away from the Shuttle 6, but the Shuttle 9.2 would also get you at least part of the way there at least.

The 9 series would be closer to the output of your 600 than the 6 series IMO and IME. The wattage ratings of the Shuttle amps (and Max amps) are a touch 'hopeful' IMO and IME.

Edit: While not identical in tone, the GK MB800 is quite impressive, will massively outperform your 600, is VERY small and light, and while sounding bigger and a bit more aggressive, still has that 'bright, modern, upper midrange present' voicing that was a signature Genz tone (in the GBE and Shuttle series).

18. brock29609

Thanks. I did notice that the Streamliner's 600 isn't nearly as powerfully as the 425 watts (4 ohms) that my GBE 600 puts out.

Well, I just purchased a Max 6.0 and a Shuttle 6.2. I will sell the one I like least. These will power a UL110 + either a UL112 or Bag End 15 or GK Neo 112 II (next decision to make). I'm trying to avoid the weight of the Bag End, but the tone & punch is hard to ignore.

I own all of these cabs, except for the GK. Trying to decide if the GK purchase is necessary. Found one used online.

19. KJung

KJung

Per the other posts above, this is not true.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I've had no problem getting any low end from my Shuttle 6.0. They were originally designed to be used with those Shuttle cabs but most folks used them with larger standard cabs and desired a little more low end. Why, I am not sure. I have plenty of bass and volume available from my amp.

21. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

brock check your PMs...