Question about GC online ordering

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr Improbable, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

Anyone here have any experience ordering used basses from Guitar Center? I can get a lot more bang for my buck ordering used online. it's just I've never done it and am a little leery. Good stories? Horror stories? Let me know...
  2. kdogg

kdogg

They are excellent to deal with. Best part, if you don't like the item, it can be returned no questions asked.
  3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yep, easy peasy.
  4. 40 Hz

40 Hz

I have bought guitars and basses on GC online, and have always been disappointed. There has always been things wrong (the condition not described properly, parts broken or not working properly, etc.) The pictures rarely show much detail and the descriptions are always lacking. I have had mixed results dealing with GC when I have these problems, and the nearest GC is about 90 miles away, so the gas costs add even more to the price I am really paying.

I have had somewhat better luck on eBay. The main problem there is poor packaging for shipping, and I have had a few arrive damaged. It is always a hassle to as UPS/FEDEX rarely pay damage claims (USPS almost always does). I have gotten in some nasty fights with eBay sellers trying to get reimbursed. Typically I have had to file complaints with eBay/PayPal or with my credit card company. It is always a very frustrating experience.

If I wasn't three hours away from a truly decent music shop I would never buy a guitar or bass over the internet. Too much potential for problems. But I like living on the edge of civilization, so I will probably do it again, and again, and again . . . . . .
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dalkowski

dalkowski

I'm 1-for-1. Several months ago I scored a used Allen Woody that the New London CT store shipped to my local in Nashua NH. The bass was/is in like-new condition, although I cringed when the GC associate opened the shipping box and I saw the bass was shipped in a soft keyboard case, with packing that wasn't "up to code."

I feel for 40 Hz. The time and gas spent driving so far to a GC really does reduce/eliminate any of the value of buying used through them.
  7. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

I've bought two used basses from Guitar Center and haven't had any problems. They were well packed and shipped out quickly, you can find some really good deals.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I look online almost every day for used basses in GC. Sometimes the prices are great and sometimes not so much. I always call and try to judge the competency of the guy I'm talking to before I order. Sometimes I call back later in the day.
  9. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

A really good idea, IMO. So, mostly good eh?
  10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm 3-for-3 with them, but I always call the store and ask someone to do a quick physical inspection. I actually backed away from one sale at the suggestion of the guy on the phone. He was very clear that something was wrong with the body.

I really lucked out on one purchase. The bass unexpectedly came in a brand-new polyfoam Road Runner case…no extra charge! I'd had it shipped directly to my local GC so we opened it up in the store. Lo and behold, there it was in the case. Nothing about it was on the packing order so they said "Bonus, dude!". I'm sure it was an isolated incident, but it's a cool story worth mentioning.

If you want to go forward with a sale, I recommend calling the store directly, ask about the status & condition of the item and how will they be packing it up. This way, if it's not done the way they said it would be, or if it's got problems they didn't fess up to, you've got a little leverage on your side.

Just out of curiosity, what are you looking at? Inquiring minds wanna know!
  11. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

I've bought about 4 basses online at GC. 2 have been fine, and two have been duds. I returned them to my local store. I didn't have to get stuck with anything I didn't want.

One of the basses I ordered came shipped to my house without a case. The bass was inside the box just wrapped in bubble wrap! Wasn't expecting that.
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yup - I've probably ordered close to 15 basses from GC that way, and kept 7 or 8 - the rest were returned because of issues... Sure, it sucks when something has been misrepresented - but the positives are that the returns cost me nothing, and the ones I kept were all really good deals...

- georgestrings
  13. djg714

djg714

I would say mostly good experience. Some stores do a good job, other don't.
    Had to return one amp, only had to pay for my shipping charges.
    Btw shipping charges are really low.
  14. rtslinger

rtslinger

I recently ordered online from the Guitar Center Brooklyn on Flatbush Ave.
    used bass and I am as you can see in Jersey no hassle very helpful with question bass shipped to me on time well packed and protected and in playable shape (setup) what more can you ask for.
  15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Supporting Member

Call the store and ask for an in-hand inspection from the store manager. That will, at least, narrow the chances of getting a dud.
  16. mojomike001

mojomike001

I've made two excellent purchases through GC online. I found their prices to be very good and typically better than ebay. Shipping cost is also very reasonable.
  17. IPA

IPA

I have bought probably a total of 8 used guitars/basses from GC.

Some things to consider--

1. if it's a screaming good deal, just take a chance. If you wait, it will be gone. there are others looking at it all day.

2. If you have questions, call the store and ask. Don't expect a ton of help, employee knowledge/helpfulness ranges greatly

3. If it doesn't work out the return is a breeze, mail it back, or just take it to your local GC. Never had a problem.
  18. Mas Fuego

Mas Fuego There is more

This is no problem as long as you have a store close by to return it to. I got a bass they rated five stars and had a bent tuning peg. Back it went.
  19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Also about returning, depending on which guy you track down to process the return, they may or may not refund your shipping too.
  20. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

It depends on how close you are to your local GC store. I never bought a bass off them, but I did buy some amps and cabinets. And while I never kept them, it was always a good experience. For 1, I purchased a Hartke HA2500 amp used that was at my local store. Nice amp, sounded good.

Second, I bought an Hartke 2.5XL 2x10 cab. I tested it at the store with another head and it sounded amazing. This was one that was at another store and I had purchased and shipped to store. I tried them at home, and the combination didn't work out that well (I also found out my wife was having an affair and a divorce was imminent) so I returned both for a full refund.

Later in the winter I wanted to try and pickup an Ampeg BA115 combo. For the first, I called the store who said it was a dead amp and would need repair. They took it off their listings. The second I had shipped to store, but it didn't work when it got there so, again full refund.

All in all, it is a great experience, even if it doesn't work out. And if you have a local store to return it to, it saves you on return shipping and packaging.
  21. wrench45us

wrench45us

always have used merchandise shipped to the local store and have it checked there.

They can deal with their own sub standard shipping if it happens and everything can be checked there maybe even by knowledgeable staff. They want your long term relationship for ongoing sales and won''t force anything broken or unsuitable for a single quick sale.