1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about heads/cabinet ohms

Discussion in 'Ask Doug Johns' started by bassbiker1, Mar 13, 2012.

1. bassbiker1

bassbiker1

Currently I have and am using an ampeg b2r head (not the newer b2re head). It's rated at 350 watts at 4 ohms and 200 watts at 8 ohms. I am using it plugged into one 4 x10 cabinet which is the ampeg b410hlf. That cabinet is rated at 400 watts at 4 ohms.

First question. Am I currently running my head at 8 ohms or 4 ohms? Due to head/cabinet mismatch, is it a problem to continue running my set up this way?

Second question. I want to add an 1x15 to my stack for larger venues. Can I add an 8 ohm ampeg 1x15 cabinet to my current setup without blowing things up? If not, assuming I want to keep my existing head and still run a 4x10 and a 1x15, do they need to both be 8 ohm cabinets?

Thanks!
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The head and cab are a perfect match. The cab is 4 ohms, and the amp works with a 4 ohm load. If you add an 8 ohm cab to the 4 ohm cab, the total load will be 2.67 ohms--and your amp will burn up trying to do that. If you want, you can use the 8 ohm cab by itself, that's not problem; or you can use two 8 ohm cabs, which will make a 4 ohm total load.

You need to read a couple of things: first, the FAQ in the Amps forum. Second, there are several threads about combining a 4x10 with a 1x15; in fact I think one of those threads is on the first or second page of the amps forum right now. Oh yeah, and third: the FAQ in the Amps forum. ;)