Question about high end soft case for bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by campbems, Feb 15, 2014.

1. campbems

campbems Supporting Member

We travel a lot with our band and I'm thinking about getting one of the high end Reunion Blues or the Mono bass case. They a both right around 200 but I was wondering if any of you guys have used these and are they worth the money? I love the protection of hard case but they can be harder to transport and heavier. Anyone have any of these cases?
  2. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

There's an old saying on TB that search is your friend and, in this case, it really is. Both of these bags get tons of love on here. You won't have to look long to find what you're looking for.
  3. Sundogue

Sundogue

While I don't own one of those, I do own a very old Levy's gig bag. Very padded, leather where it counts, heavy duty zipper. It's not anything like those cheapo gig bags. I spent probably around $150 for it a long time ago.

It's all I ever use as I hate hauling around hard cases. My basses in that have been thrown into band vans, trailers, and even once fell down a flight of stairs, with absolutely no damage to the bass whatsoever.

I've been using it exclusively for over 15 years and while the gig bag shows signs of wear and abuse, the zipper still works great and I never worry about my basses.

Having said that, I would never use it for airline travel unless I could carry it onboard. Luggage gets tremendously abused with airlines.

I don't know how sturdy or reliable the ones you are interested in are though.
  4. campbems

We don't travel by air yet but a lot of cargo trailers and in and out of vehicles. I won't ultimate protection and I'm tired of heavy bulky hard cases.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. southpaw420

southpaw420

I have both a Mono M80 and a Reunion Blues Continental. I always use the Mono. The Reunion Blues is just too bulky and sits way too high for me. I got tired of kneeling down to get on trains and buses. Great looking bag that offers a lot of protection, just too big. The Mono is a little slimmer, has plenty of padding, and is pretty water-resistant. My 5 string Wick fits fine in either one. I may spring for a Mono Vertigo bag soon.
  7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I have an '06 Mustang ragtop and a hard bass case won't fit in the back seat. I bought a Mono 80 for my SR5 and it's great, very well made and sturdy.

[​IMG]
    +
    [​IMG]

= Mono 80. :D
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

I went on the same case hunt about three years ago and ended up with the Igig bag. I liked the way the Mono was constructed, but for me the pockets were lacking.

I was intending to use mine for subway travel, so I wanted something I could stow a lot of gear in. The Igig beat out both the Reunion Blues and the Mono in that regard and I've been very happy with the purchase.

It's a bit heavier than the other bags, but the straps are super-padded, the bass is super protected and I've been using it for steady gigging and rehearsing for three-ish years and it still looks new. It's a very stout bag.
  9. southpaw420

southpaw420

Never heard of those until you mentioned it. They look pretty awesome and are around the same price. Hmm...
  10. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I've just "recycled" the gigbags i got when i bought my warwicks. So I've never bought one that didn't come with a bass. I prefer gig bags these days. If your going to put your bass in a band trailer i would use a hard case but for me these days i drive to most of our gigs and my basses are in gig bags inside my car. They take up less room, have shoulder straps so you can put them on your back like a backpack. They don't scratch up the inside of your car. And for some basses like my conklin 7 string its pretty hard to find an affordable hard case where the bass fits good.
  11. campbems

Does anyone know if a Ibanez BTB 1405 would fit in either the Reunion Blues case or the mono case? I can't find specs on the bass and haven't received it yet to measure it but was wanting to order one before I received it.
  12. groooooove

groooooove

heavy-duty gigbags are much better than hard cases.

if you drop a bass in a hard case, the finish will not get dinged, but the setup will likely need adjusting- it still feels impact.

in a soft case, it lands on a pillow. the mono bags are good ones. i forget the brand that mine is, but it's basically an older version of the same thing.
  13. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

I think for the money you should get a hard case.
  14. campbems

That's why I love this board. Tons of information especially for an area like mine where the music shops doesn't stock higher end stuff. Just ordered me a new Reunion Blues bass case. Can't wait to try it out on my new Ibanez BTB 1405 premium bass that will also be in Monday. Thanks guys for all the input.
  15. happyg

happyg

Good choice. I've been using one for a couple of years now. Love it.
  16. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The SKB will be dead long before the iGig even starts showing any wear.
  18. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

I have both. I prefer the mono vertigo. I like the big heavy rubber shoe like bottom. I also like that it never flaps open but at the same time, it can never open all the way. I also feel like the reunion blues sticks up way to high over my head. Something about the strap placement seems off.

Pocket space is better on the reunion blues but I usually bring a bag for my amp, books, etc...
  19. Clark Westfield

Clark Westfield Floyd Pepper is my mentor! Supporting Member

I have a Reunion Blues and I agree with the other members it is heavy and bulky.

Fits prperfectly in my backseat and I never, ever , have to worry about protection.

Great case and worth the money.
  20. campbems

I liked the mono case too but the Ibanez body is almost 14 on he's wide at the top of the body and it wouldn't work for my bass. I don't think I could go wrong with the Reunion blues case considering I've always used the heavy and bulky hard cases. Can't wait to try it out.
  21. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Moved to Miscellaneous.