Question about Mono cases

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

I never EVER use the backpack straps. I take them off of every single gig bag I own.

I cannot tell from the Mono web site whether it is possible to detach those. Does anyone know?
  2. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Why use a gig bag then?
    I only backpack my bass when I am on my motorcycle otherwise I always sling a strap over one shoulder.
  3. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Because a gig bag is easier for me to transport and use than a hardcase is. I just use the handle.

Really, this doesn't make me a criminal (just because it's not the way YOU would do things). And if I'm gonna drop big $$$ on a top quality bag, I want it to work the way I want to use it.

But hey, thanks for asking ;-)
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    They detach at the bottom, not the top. You can tuck them into the back pocket.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Yep. The M-80 does this but not sure about the Vertigo.

Love my M-80!
  7. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

Razor Knife - work slowly and carefully

- Problem Solved -

:cool:
  8. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

how about the soft cases then? I use the roadrunner ones, they work fine.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:confused:

Mono only makes soft cases.
  10. obimark

obimark

I love my M80, I use the handle, haven't used the backpack yet, but may try if I have a longer schlep.
    The key ring clip and that top pouch are what sold me on it vs. the Vertigo.

I am never going back to hard case/ heaviness unless I go on world tour with a big name band.
  11. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a Vertigo and the straps neither detach nor can they be tucked out of the way.

I really like the top loading feature and the bag stands vertical when leaned against a wall.

I'm tempted to trim off the backpack straps, too :bag:
  12. joeyl

joeyl Supporting Member

I meant it does not have to be Mono gig bag used with a handle if he only wants a lightweight foam case.
  13. bassgod0dmw

14. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

The M80 is a great choice. You can detach the bottom of the straps and tuck them into the back of the case. If you ever need to use both hands while carrying the bass, having the straps in the back pocket is better than not having them, IMO. On the mono site, there was one an introductory video about the M80 features.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, one thing that bugs me about all these gig bags is that the shoulder straps start at the top of the body and not higher up on the neck. I had one like that and I banged it into every single door frame I walked into. I just do not understand that. My current bag is one you can't get anymore, but the straps make the bass hang at only slightly higher than my head. I so don't get why these new fangled gig bags make you 9 feet tall. May have to start a separate rant.
  16. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

I'm gonna hold off making a decision until after NAMM. Reunion Blues has a new Aero line that looks interesting as well.

Personally, I'm not spending north of $200 on anything that only sort of, kind of meets my needs. Mono and RB should pay attention. Their sites could offer a lot better information. Videos are OK, but detailed specs are what I want. And no, I didn't find them.

My .02; YMMV.
  17. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I'm getting one shortly. I'll let you know for certain once I get it, but it seems that the straps stow away in pockets in the back.
  18. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    Mono sits pretty low. I have no problem with doorways and my M80 double. My RB Continental however hits pretty much any low hanging object. I don't like that bag for a number of reasons and only keep it for flying.
  19. bassgod0dmw

I find that they sit higher than every other bag I have, but I prefer that. They don't bounce against my back/butt when I walk.

I'm fine walking through doorways and I'm 6'1", but low drop ceilings are a different story.
  20. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

FYI... Jason at Basstrings online made me a killer deal on a Reunion Blues Aero that I just couldn't pass up. I'm mostly happy with it.

Pros: The instruments is well protected. It's fairly light. The backpack straps hide away. The handle is very comfortable. I see no reason why it wouldn't also work with my electric guitars so I may have actually saved a few shekels by buying this.

Cons: The "hidden pockets" are pretty useless (I suppose I could put a few sheets of sheet music in the large one). Also the covering seems to attract dirt and dust like a magnet. Not sure why. The absence of even one decent sized outside pocket (and no inside pockets) means that I have to carry a second utility bag to gigs (which I usually do anyway).

On balance, I'm pretty happy with it, especially for the price.
  21. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

ToneMonkey,

Do you have any sense of how the Aero compares to the Continental model, protection-wise? I'm looking for a bag for occasional airline flights. I'm almost always able to carry-on, but if I DO have to gate check...

I like the smaller size of the Aero (storage pockets aren't a big concern), but I don't want to lose the impressive level of protection offered by the Continental. Any thoughts?