Question about my current setup...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by slapfunk987, Mar 10, 2014.

1. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Just wanted to get some opinions from you guys on what low action setup would be??
    I have measured my string height at the twelfth fret and I have 6mm on the E string, 5 mm on the A and D string and 4mm on the string.
    Any recommendations on where I should start if my current action is considered high??

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    That is a good question, I have always had somebody do any work on my P except change the strings..

3. Turnaround

Turnaround

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    In my shop, for medium-low action I set the string height at the 12th fret to 2mm on the G string and 2.3mm on the E string, with the other two falling between.

4. MrTaff

MrTaff

Just to check, you're measuring from the bottom of the string to the fret? low action for me is around 2mm on the E & 1.8mm on the G (although mine are set lower), I'd call 6mm unplayable.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

Turnaround and MrTaff have it right.

Fender's "factory" setup is 5/64 inch (1.98 mm) on the G to 6/64 inch (2.38 mm) on the E, so about 2 mm to 2.4 mm.

BTW, Fender spec's these heights at the 17th fret, not the 12th.

Fender's setup is kinda high for me. I usually set mine at 0.070" (1.78 mm) on the G to 0.080" (2.03 mm) on the E, so about 1.8 mm to 2.0 mm.

I also measure mine at the 17th fret, so they would be slightly (but not much) less at the 12th fret.

If I'm playing classic rock and digging in more than I do for other types of music, I usually raise the E string a little bit - about 1/4 turn on each of the saddle screws - to minimize the clanking.

7. slapfunk987

slapfunk987

Well after remeasuring to bottom of string, my measurements are E string 4mm, A and D string at 3.3mm and G string at 3.5mm.
    From what you guys are saying, this is considered high action and possibly unbalanced action... (My uncle plays with higher action than me though.) I guess I seriously need to consider getting this thing adjusted with a good setup..