Question about my new Schecter bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaylorEdwards, Mar 1, 2014.

1. TaylorEdwards

TaylorEdwards

I was in GuitarCenter yesterday and purchased a used "Schecter Diamond Series 004" and I had a couple small questions about it since I'm new to basses hardware and such.

From what I could tell (And what I've found online so far) it's the 2003 version (Or at least the very newest there was before it was discontinued) Bolt on neck.

On to my questions:

First!

What do each of the four knobs do? The salesmen wasn't able to answer that question at the time.

Second!

From what I found online the pickups are "Active/Passive" with the 9v battery in the back. I literally have no idea what this means. Does one of the knobs change it between active and passive mode or something? Or if I take the battery out will they become passive and won't need the battery?

Any help on these two questions would be vastly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. TaylorEdwards

TaylorEdwards

Any help would be loved...
  3. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Ok ill just shoot in the dark as I don't know your particular bass.

Knobs: probably volume-pickup balance-bass-treble your ears should tell you what's what.

It's likely passive pickups with an active (battery operated) preamp.

I don't know if it will run w/o a battery but that's an easy test
  4. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

Unless you have a switch or one of your knobs pulls up it probably needs a battery at all times to function.

Unplugging when not in use should make the battery last longer
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LightGroove

LightGroove

I believe you have Volume Blend Bass Treble. 1sr volume may be push pull. Its a 2 band EQ built around an EMG setup. Pickups are passive..preamp is active
  7. Xandros

Xandros Supporting Member

Have you got a picture that you can post ?
  8. TaylorEdwards

TaylorEdwards

Thank you very much for your response! Since it's used I have to keep it at the store for another week and a half but once I get my hands on it I'll definitely put up some photos. :)
  9. Xandros

I see you're new to TalkBass, welcome!
    I just bought a Schecter Diamond P Custom from a fellow TalkBass member... Should receive it by Friday, can't wait! Once you get yours, if you're interested, post a 'full' picture of it on the 'official' Schecter owners Club thread and you can request a club number. You can then add that to your signature. You can see an example of it if you check out my sig
  10. Xandros

Hey TaylorEdwards, how did you make out with your new bass? Do you have it now?
    No pressure, but would love to see a pic :)
  11. MontzterMash

MontzterMash

When I bought mine, I had similar questions about mine's knobs, and when I emailed Schecter they answered back very nicely.
  12. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the sales people at GC should have been able to tell you what you needed to know about that bass.
  13. Bongolation

Bongolation

It's just you.

The rest of us live in the world of the remotely possible.
  14. FJBass82

FJBass82

Yes, the salesman at GC most definately should've been able to tell you what the knobs were for!

A good salesman would've sat down with the bass and fiddled with the knobs and then would've been able to explain to you what each one does, after hearing the differences in volume, tone, etc.
  15. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

+1 to that. I believe that is absolutely on the money. There is a push/pull for active passive for that model and year. More recent ones changed the electronics some, though I don't remember the specifics.
  16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

That doesn't even make sense.. What are you talking about?
  17. SteveV74

SteveV74

Its not just you....GC is horrible.