Question About Ohms? please help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mayeloski24, Apr 12, 2014.

1. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

So sometime soon when my church gets bigger, i might get a Hartke LH500, and it runs at @8=350 and @4=500 ( its full power) and i was thinking getting a Carvin BR410-4 cabinet , and it say on the website 4 ohms 800w, but the thing is the hartke LH500 has two 8 ohms out puts on the back, how will i be able to run the head @4 ohms, I'm still new with amps and ohms, i only own a Hartke 100w combo amp which is pretty simple to use. so yeah can someone tell me if this set up would work?
  2. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

if the cab is rated at 4 ohms, then that means you will be running the amp at maximum safe wattage output.
    you wouldn't be able to run two 4 ohm cabs with this head.
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  4. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

ok so everything should be fine , but the thing is that the hartke lh500 head has two 8 ohms out puts, will i have to use a banana speaker cable? (i think is the cable that would work)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

No, the two jacks on the amp are evidently wired in parallel, allowing someone to plug two 8 ohm cabs in (one in each jack). Or one 4 ohm cab, just using one jack.
  7. mayeloski24

mayeloski24

so i would only use one jack on the carvin cabinet?
  8. brenner182

brenner182

Yes
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes. One 4 ohm speaker cab ONLY to either jack. The "minimum load" is 4 ohms which is two 8 ohm cabs (equals 4 ohms) or only one 4 ohm cab.
  10. David Jayne

David Jayne

Hartke just marks the outputs that way to remind you that if you connect two cabs they must both be 8 Ohms each, minimum. It's really just one, mono amp output split into two 'outlets.'
  11. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
  12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i hate when amps are labeled like this, it's damn confusing (boogie does it too). it should be the two jacks with one label over or between them saying "4Ω minimum total".
    basscooker likes this.
  13. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    Or when there's an external cab connector on a combo amp and no indication what the minimum is.