1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

question about ohms with Ampeg b25b...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by twotonetommy4, Nov 18, 2012.

1. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

Hey guys,

So i realize there is most likely multiple forums explaining what I am trying to figure out...but I was hoping someone could help since I truly know nothing about ohm ratings and what head is good to match with what cab.

I've recently purchased a 1969 Ampeg b25b head off a guy from Craigslist, and have now noticed the head says "16 ohms" near the speaker output. The cabinet I own is the Ampeg 4x10 HLF classic.

My question is, will this combo work? i have yet to try it out because I a do not want to mess anything up in the head or speakers. If the combo won't work, what do I need to do to make it work?

Thanks for any and all help. Hopefully there is someone out there willing to teach me a lesson about ohms and compatibility between amps and cabinets...Shed some light on this poor soul!

Thanks guys....
  2. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

That amp requires a 16 ohm cab - just like it says. The cab you have is 4 ohms but could be rewired to 16 if you don't need the horn. You can also "fool" the amp into driving an 8 ohm cab by plugging a dummy plug (no cable connected) into the second output jack. What are you planning to do with it? It really doesn't have enough power to play with a rock band.

I have one of the 2x15 B25 cabs but haven't found a head for it yet - I'd only use it at home anyways. My cab has been rewired to 4 ohms but could be wired back to 16 if I ever have need. Sounds great with the '67 Bassman I have :D .
  3. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

Also check the sticky here at the top if the page. All you need to know and more.
  4. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

Roadkill...so by dummy jacking to make it think it is running 8 ohms will be okay for my 4 ohm cabinet?

And I've lots of reviews with people saying the b25b is their main gigging amp, plenty loud enough for all smaller-midsize gigs and rehearsals, which is I all intend on using it for.

thanks for your help sir!
  5. Roadkill

Roadkill Short Scale Addict Supporting Member

No - but since 16 ohm bass cabs are extremely uncommon you could then run an 8 ohm one. As I said you could rewire your 4 ohm 4x10 to 16 ohms but you'd have to know what you're doing - not something someone can explain over the web :( .
  6. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 the 4 ohm cab can be re-wired to 16 ohms, which would then be a perfect match for the amp. Tube amps should always be run with a load that matches the ouput. Some amps have a swithable ouitput for 2, 4, 8 ohms, etc. Yours will do 16, or 8. You have a 4 ohm cab, so rer-wire for 16 ohms and you're good to go. Do not run it as is @ 4 ohms.
  8. twotonetommy4

twotonetommy4

thanks Rickenboogie...I guess my next question is...how do I rewire to 16 ohms, and will doing this compromise volume levels? Guess I could take it into the music shop, but trying to save $$$ if I can.