1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

question about old Ampeg B25 cab w/ EV15R

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by boroman, Jan 22, 2014.

1. boroman

boroman

I recently acquied Ampeg B25 cab ('ve benn told it was bought in 1969) with 70's replacement speakers Electro Voice 15R series II (200w each).

As I found out there was some factory replacements for the CTS speakers over the 70s Linden/Magnavox era and there were Altecs and EV's as a factory uprages (although EVs being more or less for the V4B cab). The codes on the speakers (both) are 79629 - I don't know how can I date them. Maye 79 is the year, but the 62 is not the week... I don't see any other codes on the speaker or the cone beside the LONG serial number.

The strange thing about his cab that it looks completely stock, on the top it has four little dips for rubber feet.. but on the bottom it has six big dips in the size like my 8x10 has. So, is that original? All of them look stock. Maybe they did the little holes for B25 guitar amp, and the BIG holes for v4b and so on?
  2. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

My B25 cab had six foot cups on top for the heads (SVT had 6 feet, most others had 4), 4 cups on bottom for the caster cart.

Can't help you with the EV speakers, as far as I knew the factory upgrades were JBL or Altec in the early 70s, Altec in the mid-late 70s.
  3. boroman

boroman

Looks like this:

Attached Files:

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Would not complain about EV's. Corey's right that it had CTS's or Altec 421a's stock, but EV's were quite good as well, and if the cab sounds good to you, I wouldn't sweat it.
  5. boroman

boroman

It's GREAT. Just wanted to know the date of speaker manufacture and the "cups" thing.
    I'm happy to play it with the SVT and knowing that it will not blow 5 minutes after playing because AFAIK the CTS were rated at 50W each and Altec's 100w/e
  6. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Yup that definitely 6 on the bottom. Interesting. I'm fairly certain mine was the other way, and I had the cart mounted with the screw holes like that, but I'm not 100% on that now looking at your pictures. I'll try to dig up some pictures of mine, sold it about a year ago so that would be the best I could do to confirm if I can.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well you can still blow them with an SVT, but you should be able to get louder.
  8. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

My 1969 has same cups as yours boroman, 4 on top for the B25 head, 6 on the bottom with the threads for the caster dolly. The dolly has only 4 feet though.