1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about P/J configuration.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sonic 7, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

As we all know a standard jazz bass (two single coil j pick ups) has certain characteristics, hum when either pickup is rolled off, slightly "out of phase" sound with both pickups on full. Does a P/J configuration behave the same way ? As I understand a P pickup is two single coils wired together in a way that cancels the hum. How does it work in conjunction with a single coil J in the bridge position ?
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

You can get a hum-cancelling single J pickup so that should solve any concerns you might have. It would be good to buy the P and J pickups as a set. Question is are you going VVT, VTVT, VBlendTrebleBass or something else?

Davo
  3. sonic 7

sonic 7 Supporting Member

Thanks I should have specified, Im thinking VVT , just as standard J.
  4. Teddy64L

Teddy64L

I own a box-standard Modern Player Jaguar with P/J config, and I have some hum from the J (especially when both PU's are on full volume). I have the standard Fender PU's, and Jazz-style VVT. It helps a little to roll off the tone, but I am now dropping the volume on the J-PU when there's a pause in playing. It gets to be a habit. Don't know what happens if I ever get around to swap the Fenders for some hum-cancelling ones (been thinking about the Lace Alumitone). I'll probably be adjusting the volume anyway...
    So, the short answer to your question; Yes, the P/J has some of the same characteristics.
  5. line6man

line6man

You need an even number of coils in order to humcancel. A standard PJ setup has three coils, and thus, the more you turn up the J pickup's volume, the more hum you get.

All two-pickup basses will have phase cancellations when the pickups are used together. The degree of phase separation is determined by the distance between pickups.
  6. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I used to have SD 1/4lb's in my P/J. On some stages I would'nt even use the J due to the hum. So no hum canceling there. I now have DiMarzio Model P&J's, so far no hum. DM J p/ups are twin coil and hum canceling. (as are many others)
  7. Gmclachlan

Gmclachlan Supporting Member

I had a bit of noise with my PJ unless I rolled off the J completely, so I put in a split coil J (Fralin). A P pickup essentially is a split coil pickup, so sounds great, no hum.
  8. Davo-London

Davo-London

I wonder what other configurations folk have tried other than the VVT?

Davo
  9. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Gassin' for a Warwick Dolphin V Supporting Member

Pickup switch 3 way (volume tone).
    Vol. Blend. Tone.
    Stacked separate volume and tone.
  10. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

I have a 4 way Telecaster switch in mine, with master vol & tone. The 4th position is both pickups in series.

Another P bass of mine has 2 P split pickups, master V/T (stacked) and blend. That one also has a 2 way micro switch for series/parallel.

Both setups keep the 2 knob appearance, and work well for me.
  11. superjesus

superjesus Supporting Member

I run a modified VVT, consisting of a master volume, J volume, and master tone. The J volume only controls the J pickup. The master volume and tone are exactly what they are. Think of this setup like a VBT in which the blend only turns towards the neck pickup from the detent.

The limitation of this setup is that the J can never be used independent of the P. The J can be pulled out entirely or it can be raised to match the level of the P, but the J can never be used without the P.

This setup works for me because I prefer a master volume over a dual volume setup, and I seldom have a need for a soloed bridge pickup. Another benefit of this mod is you don't have to change any of the pots from a VVT. You just move a few wires around.
  12. vistacruiser

vistacruiser

A simple idea that sounds great for a P/J bass, I like it.
  13. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Here's mine. Moved to a SD Vintage Hot J. Better balanced.