Question about P-routed J pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, May 27, 2011.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

I'm thinking of building a P/J bass in a J-style body so that I can use an Audere or J-Retro drop in preamp.

Wondering, though, about Warmoth or similar J bass bodies and pickguards. Sometimes it almost appears like the P-bass rout is too close to the bottom of the pickguard and there's only a tiny strip of plastic underneath it.

I'm hoping some of you guys can post pictures of your basses that have this kind of pickup/pickguard configuration.

I believe the Fender Reggie Hamilton bass is like this too.

Here's a few I found:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. AphekGreg

AphekGreg

I just bought a P routed J pickguard from Warmoth. Haven't used it yet. The guard extends closer to the bridge to allow for the different position of a P pickup. Yes there is a fairly thin strip below the D and G part of the pickup, but I don't think it's likely to break if you're worried about that. Once the body is routed for a P pickup, you couldn't return it to a standard J guard. The pickup rout would be visible.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I'm in the process of a build now of a jazz body with a neck P pickup. I have a Warmoth guard and yes the opening is very close to the bottom of the pickguard. Less than 1/8th inch from the opening to the edge!

4. TimBosby

Hmm. So Warmoth's P-rout must be lower than say, the Fender Reggie Hamilton..

I wonder if Allparts, Mighty Mite, B. Hefner, etc, are similar?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ghostdog93

ghostdog93

The Warmoth P route on a J pickguard does seem mighty close to the edge. If you look in the Warmoth J Bass Gallery, you can see a few more photos of this.

If you can live with the looks of a J body without the p/g, you can always opt for a rear rout. I don't think this changes the physical location of the pickup, but without the p/g, you might not notice it as much.

Do Allparts and Mighty Mite offer a P/J rout on a J body?

7. TimBosby

Yeah, but I really want a pickguard for this particular body...

8. TimBosby

On second thought the Reggie Hamilton bass appears similar to the Warmoths

I don't think it's that bad. In my case it'd be a white pearloid pickguard with creme pickups. So they'd be similar looking but just different enough for the pickup to stand out a bit.

[​IMG]

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

I've used Warmoth pickguards in the past and was mighty impressed. Have you tried looking on eBay for used P-routed J guards?

10. TimBosby

No, but now that you mention it, the Fender Aerodyne fits this description, and I used to have an Aerodyne. Sweet, sweet bass, I miss it.

11. TimBosby

Anybody happen to have both an Aerodyne *and* a Warmoth bass with a P/J pickup rout? :)

12. spaz21387

spaz21387

Heres mine and its extremely close to the edge of the pickguard.

[​IMG]
    IMAG0577.jpg by spaz21387, on Flickr

13. TimBosby

Yeah I think they're all gonna be like that, which is sort of deceptive, because if you use Warmoth's "pickguard builder" it appears to not be near the edge at all.

I wonder if the Aerodyne pickguard would work on a brand new un-drilled Warmoth body.

Those Delano pickups look cool.

14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure that it is a Warmoth body & pickguard. The pickup comes very close to the edge, but I have never had a problem with it. I put the BAII on it & changed the control plate to a stacked knob version so it would just have a volume & tone. It now has a Seymour Duncan 1/4 lb P-pickup installed. It's a great bass.

Moonshine :bassist:

15. spaz21387

spaz21387

I think that warmoth make the pickguards like that to make routing j basses easier... the half of the p pickup that was under the e and the a dropped right in no routing. but I had to take out about a half inch on the d and g side of the pickup. But you are right about them being deceptive because i expected it to have more space between the edge of it too. about those delanos you should hear them they growl ha.

16. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Supporting Member

Tim, you and I need to get together sometime. We seem to have similar bass ideas all the time!

17. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

They are there so that they match an actual P bass position. The aerodyne position is actually more toward the neck. Different placement= different tone. I had one from Jeanie's that I bought on ebay. It's in the aerodyne position. Still sounded great though.

[​IMG]

18. lel95

lel95

Does anyone know if the Warmoth pg will fit on a squier jazz?

19. TimBosby

Dave, yeah, definitely.

LowEnd -
    That looks like what I'm looking for. What kind of body is that? Doesn't look like an Aeordyne body to me....

20. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

It's not, it's a mighty mite body that I routed out myself for the p pickup. Then I sprayed the finish.

Here's a link to one of the pg's.
    parchment pickguard fits a fender Aerodyne jazz bass | eBay

21. TimBosby

Thanks, that's very helpful. I might just order a Warmoth one with a bridge J-rout only, and then have Pat Wilkins do a P-rout for me in the Aerodyne position. He's going to be doing the finish so I imagine he could do the rout.

I used to own an Aerodyne and it had amazing tone so whatever their positioning does to the sound, I think my ears will like..

This is, assuming the Aerodyne pickguard will fit a Warmoth body but I see no reason why it shouldn't, if it fits a Mighty Mite body. And Warmoth bodies do not come with the pickguard holes drilled anyway, you have to drill them yourself, so I could easily make it work I think.

The next question is, will the control cavity line up? I assume those are pretty standard. I'd be probably installing an Audere drop-in preamp..