Question about passive and active with EMG's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

Why do some people prefer the hz pickups over the "real" emg's?
    And it is not because of the batteries issue, because I've heard a lot of people that just prefer the tone of the hz's, with or without an active onboard preamp.
  2. line6man

line6man

Batteries are the main opposition to active components on basses. Those who are uneducated on current requirements versus battery capacity tend to freak out over batteries, and thus, avoid their use. The other concern is with those who attribute active components with an inherent difference in tonality that is undesirable to their personal preference. Again, this is largely rooted in misconceptions, though, in specific cases, the tonality may be undesirable to some people. The third concern is generally the price point.

I have personally never heard of anyone having the preference for the Hz series. Aren't they the pickups no one likes?
  3. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I dislike EMG's altogether, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I believe most people prefer hz simply for cost purposes and then teach their mind to like them. Hz is NOT what should come to mind when you think EMG tone. However, there are people (myself included) who simply dislike active electronics. Now, I dislike the tone of all EMG's. But simply for the pure fact that hz is passive and I prefer passive electronics, they are preferred by me.
  4. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

I think the price is not important at all because they both cost the same, the hz's are about 89 bucks and the actives 99
  5. Register to disable this ad