Question about pedal tuners.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lemon Of Troy, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

First off, I love my TC Polytuner. It will never leave my board.

However, I need another tuner pedal to keep in my practice bag to carry around.

I ordered a Korg Pitchblack Poly, but I forgot to check one thing...I need the signal to pass through the tuner while tuning (not mute when tuning). Does the Pitchblack do this? I know the Polytuner does not.

If the Pitchblack does not, I may return it and get one of the Hardwire pedals with dual outputs. I'd like to know ahead of time so I won't even open the Korg if it does not work like this.

Open to other tuner pedals as well,so feel free to throw some out. Do not like Boss or GFS.
    Does not have to be Poly! I just happen to love the Polytuner, and I like the display on the Korg Poly better than the regular Korg. I never use the Poly function.

2. monti2889

monti2889

if they're still available, I liked the dean markley tuner that I used, never had a problem with it, and had most of the standard features of a pedal tuner...multiple A reference frequencies, sharp or flat tunings, etc. I still have it, but don't use it now, as my amp has a built in tuner and I mostly play stuff that's standard tuning, or drop D or C.

3. bass_lord_mutha

bass_lord_mutha Supporting Member

The Pitchblack Poly only does muted tuning, according to their website:

True Bypass circuitry preserves your tone.
    While tuning, the Pitchblack Poly completely mutes the audio input. When not tuning, the incoming audio signal is sent directly to the output without being affected in any way by the tuner circuit (true bypass). Even when the Pitchblack Poly is connected between several of your favorite pedal effect units, the input will simply be directly output without passing through any buffer amp, ensuring that the sound you've created with your effect units will be uncolored. The Pitchblack Poly is designed to play nicely with your other effect pedals.

4. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Well darn. The search continues.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

The Pitchblack mutes while tuning, but I'm curious *why* you would want un-muted tuning?

7. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

So I can hear as well as see the note that I'm playing.

8. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

I run my Pitchblack off a separate "tuner out" from my preamp, that way it's always on even while I'm playing and thus I can check my (horrible) intonation on the fly.

9. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy Banned

Exactly. In fact I was shocked when I got my Polytuner, which was my first pedal tuner, and found out it muted the signal when tuning. Still baffles my mind as to why anyone would mute while tuning, but I guess some folks like it.

But, a seperate preamp output is not always an option so I want my 'bases' to be covered by having a non-muted output pedal tuner.

10. kenstee

kenstee Supporting Member

BTW, I believe the TC poly function DOES NOT work on bass. For bass must tune one string at a time. Not sure about the Pitchblack. For just a basic pedal tuner take a look at the very basic and inexpensive Snark pedal tuner. http://www.snarktuners.com/pedal-new Personally? Have migrated to clip-on tuners YMMV!

SN-10 STAGE AND STUDIO TUNER
    ULTRA FAST ON STAGE TUNING!

Huge EZ Read Display
    Blazingly Fast
    True Bypass
    Pitch Calibration
    Die Cast Metal Case
    Fully Chromatic

11. PatQ

PatQ

The Korg TU-3 (and my older TU-2) has 2 outputs for this and works like a charm.

12. mouthmw

mouthmw

Seriously?
    Because it's completely unprofessional to be heard when tuning in between songs on a stage.

13. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

^ agreed. I guess using a tuner while you're playing fretless is understandable, but using your ears to check intonation will help you learn fretless better.

While we're on the subject of pedal tuners, has anyone gone from a turbo tuner to a polytune mini? I think I might be able to add 1 more pedal to my board by switching to the mini. I love the turbo tuner, but I don't do setups and don't need the hyper accuracy it provides. I know the polytunes are true bypass, but I thought I remember hearing that some people experienced tone suck with them. Any truth to that?

14. Abner

Abner

Just split the signal before going into the tuner.

15. Yools

Yools

Have you considered a Sabine STX1100 auto-tuner? I've used these for years on my pedalboard, and I think they're great, but I never see anything about them on Talkbass. They have a line out so you can hear yourself when you tune; they also have a built-in microphone so you can tune acoustic instruments, or just leave it by your speakers. They handle bass notes just fine even down to a whole step below the low B on my 5-string, and the display works great on dark stages.

-Y

16. ZombieSpacebat

ZombieSpacebat

Because being able to hear a band tuning is one of the most unprofessional things i can think of in live music.

17. Bob C

Bob C

I love my Sabine STX1100 as well. I bought it for $50 over ten years ago and am still using it. I much prefer it over the popular Boss one.

18. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    Works for me, you just have to make sure you put it into bass mode.

Either way, I've actually had good luck with the Snark SN-8 Clip-on Tuner for the basses I have at church. I actually used it this past Sunday when I was using my fretless while I was playing to make sure I was playing in tune since it had been a while since I've played fretless.

19. erigod23

erigod23

Get the Snark; tune with volume on or off, save pedalboard space.

20. capncal

capncal

+ 1 on the snark. ain't even gots to be plugged in to tune!

21. James Judson

James Judson

Wouldn't it be better to take your axe to a luthier and get him to fix it so it doesn't need to be tuned on the fly in the middle of a song.

I have several basses that I tune before going on stage. In between sets I check the tuner for accuracy and continue with the show (don't know why I do this cuz the bass is still in tune).

Now if I detect I'm out of tune I hand the tuner to one of the guitards and say please check. Its always one of them.