1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question about preamps, DIs, and PA systems

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jaroh24, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jaroh24

jaroh24

So I love the sound of an SVT 4 pro, but don't have the money to get it. I found an SVT iip preamp for sale for a fraction of the cost. My question is, if I bought this preamp, could I hook it up directly to a PA system or would I need a DI? Also could I hook this preamp up to a combo amp as well? It would be nice to have an amp behind me too.

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Yep, you can go directly to the PA using the XLR out on the back of the preamp. You don't need a DI at all. And, yes, using the main outs you could run into a combo. HOWEVER, you may want to read up on various inputs on the amp before you buy. Some have an input that allows you to bypass the preamp on the combo and use the power section as a "slave amp". This would be best because the signal coming off the preamp might be too hot for the regular input on the amp.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

What's this svt iip you speak of

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is, like he said, a preamp made by Ampeg.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

7. Tuned

Tuned

I use an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp, quite ideal to use it as the DI. On mine the output is pretty hot since I hit the tubes hard, I modified mine with a 20dB pad on the DI output.

8. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, definitely. When I used to gig at church I'd normally always use some sort of dedicated preamp type unit for my DI signal. Demeter and Avalon were my favorites.