question about spirocore tensions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by basic74, Mar 26, 2014.

1. basic74

basic74

hi everybody, I´ve found the combination obligato D&G and spirocore E&A works really well on my bass that has a weak E-string.
    the weak e-string is a phenomenom I confirmed with other strings, evah weich and medium, flexocore deluxe, obligato, innovation ultra black... when used the whole set of one string type always the E-string is muffled, dark, no punch and pitch definition, the A-string as well but much less.

so now I think my combination of spiro and obligato is what I want to use, I like the obligato top strings sound and get more highs and definition from the spiro lower strings. I get very good even sound and feel from this combination when strung with _3/4 weich_ A string, but the E string is still a bit too weak.

just now I have a many years old _3/4 medium_ E string on the bass (borrowed from another bass) and this is better - more volume & punch pizzicato and more clarity and pitch definition in arco.
    but it´s a bit too stiff for me on the left hand & too loud compared to the other strings and rougher sound arco then the A-string - so I thought ideally there would be a spirocore E-string with tension in between 3/4 weich & 3/4 medium.

according to thomastik infeld website the 4/4 weich would fit my description, but I have a 102cm quite short scale bass - can I get away with this? or would this not work the way I want?
  2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The 4/4 Spirocore strings are approximately 8cm longer than the 3/4 Spiros.
    You might want to try out a Pirastro Jazzer E instead.
  3. riimodar

riimodar

The string which has the tension between 3/4 weich and 3/4 mittle on any particular bass is the 4/4 mittle, not 4/4 weich. You cannot simply compare the tension measurements as they are printed in the Thomastik catalogue, you must normalize them to the same playing length. This is explained in more detail somewhere on TB.
  4. basic74

basic74

thanks for the suggestions!
  5. Register to disable this ad