Question about straight necks and the nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IamJeffBASS, Dec 26, 2013.

1. IamJeffBASS

IamJeffBASS

I have read that the neck should always be slightly bowed to give room for the strings to vibrate, or else there will be fret buzz. Now I've been wondering whether a nut with more height would allow a perfectly straight neck to be without feet buzz. Any thoughts?
  2. poit57

poit57

I would think that would only be the case for open string notes. Once you fret a note, the nut height would become insignificant because it is no longer the determining factor in the distance between the vibrating string and the remaining frets. After the relief (or lack thereof) is set on the neck, wouldn't the action set by the bridge height then be the next factor to consider in adjusting for fret buzz.
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Yes, the nut height won't affect stopped notes in this regard. The amount of bow you need depends on how you like your action. I like high action (~5 mm @ the octave), so I need less relief to avoid buzz. If you like your action very low, you'll likely need a bit more relief to avoid buzz. The whole action/relief adjustment process goes hand in hand. No, you don't technically adjust action through truss rod adjustment, but the amount of relief does have some effect on resultant action.
  4. IamJeffBASS

IamJeffBASS

Ohh I hadn't thought of that! Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
  5. Register to disable this ad