Question about the Dunlop Bass Wah 105Q

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jcburn, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jcburn

jcburn

Hello everyone - this pedal looks like it will be perfect for me. I will be using it for both the Lenny Kravitz/Fly Away envelope filter action and some Cliff Burton style wah.

My question is - with the auto-off feature - when the pedal is in the off position is the tone affected in any way, or does it sound like the pedal is just not there?

I'm hoping the latter but does anyone have experience to shed some light? The reason I ask is I bought a cheap-ass Daphon wah, and while it sounds OK for wah, when the pedal is in the off position the tone is still affected quite a deal, sounding thin and losing volume.

Thankyou.
  2. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I have nothing to add, except that on the record on "Fly Away," the bassist used a BassBalls. Sorry I can't answer your question, as I'm really not familiar with that wah.
  3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It's not true bypass, but I haven't noticed any tone suck with it off.
  4. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

I have heard some people say it affects their tone in off mode but I have one and I don't notice any tone loss. Its a newer version so I don't know if that makes a difference.
  5. lebaron

lebaron

same here, haven´t noticed any difference with/without it in the chain. That said, I did not sit down for a proper A/B test, but I usually react to loss etc caused by wireless etc.

Hope it helps :)
  6. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

I never heard any tone degradation, I think it's only prevalent when you use long runs of cable and lots of pedals. It's a decent pedal, pretty tweakable too.
  7. Mattbass97

Mattbass97

I find its completely transparent when in the off position I love the pedal buy it there won't be any regrets!
  8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    It's got a really nice buffered bypass so you shouldn't hear any tone loss.
  9. jcburn

jcburn

Humble thankyou to everyone for the input. Off I go to grab one!

Jake.
  10. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

Not much tone suck, maybe some highs (I have the new version too). However, mine is in the shop now as the switch started acting weird - not bypassing the wah completely but stuck in the "low register barely on" thing. And it's only been like 5 months in use and I babied it and took care like I do for all my pedals. Should be a quick fix though and it's still under warranty.
  11. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

I have an older one and there is quite a bit of tone suck from the bypass, especially in the lows. When I have it on my board, I keep it in a TB looper to avoid it. I hope the newer ones have a better bypass.
  12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1 and it's a great pedal. The best IMHO, particularly for the price. It's an amazing value. A must have on any pedal board.

As a sidebar note I think Dunlop should offer one with a boost and a frequency selector. That would be a nice addition of their product line, take their 535Q and tweatk it for bass. I think that product would sell well.
  13. tink9975

The 105Q has a volume control as well as a Q control, is that what you mean?
  14. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

I've owned a few of these over the years and have never noticed a difference in tone when not engaged. I've A\B'd it playing with it in the chain and without and my ears couldn't hear a difference.
  15. tink9975

maybe I just have a bum unit, its definitely noticeable with mine.
  16. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I never noticed any tone loss but I decided it wasn't for me. The tonal shifts with the auto on/off feature made it almost useless for me. I'd have to stop playing before I stepped on/off of it. Also, if I brought it back to far it might turn off when I didn't want it to.

I think a spring loaded wah is sweet but I prefer a seperate on/off switch.