Question about transcribing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Tombolino, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Tombolino

Tombolino

Is there a huge added benefit of literally writing down the notes on paper vs doing my analysis by just looking at fretaboard and mentally analyzing of the chord and the notes and how they fit in?

2. the_stone

the_stone

I would say there is. By actually writing the notes down, you're not only becoming a better reader (by the sheer repetition of writing notation), but you're also giving your ears a good workout. Writing your transcription out will force you to work out strange/difficult notes and rhythms so that you can notate them on paper, which will help in your overall understanding of those kinds of things.

That being said, there's also a big benefit to memorizing transcriptions - it really helps you to internalize the music. I'd honestly recommend going back and forth from one to the other.

3. morgansterne

morgansterne

all the practice a person can get in writing music down on paper will translate into being able to read music better, I believe.

4. elgecko

elgecko

If you can write it, you can read it. If you don't care about reading, then not really.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

As an exercise in reviewing the music, once you identify the note/chord whether you write it down or not, as far as I'm concerned, is a personal thing.

If you are a visual learner, it probably will help, otherwise, I see little value in doing so. Other than writing it's name on the sheet music will help you remember the note name later as you play the music.

Yes, to notations in the margins as to how this section should be played, etc.

Of course, IMO.

7. carldogs

carldogs

I found writing down music notation really does help, especially if you go into how to write down and group notes correctly.
    You can try this link, it deals quite a bit with chords though but there is a lot of other information there.

icking-music-archive.org/lists/sottisier/notation.pdf