1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question about tuners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Not sure which forum to put this in. Im considering buying better tuners for my Godin. I think the current ones are Gotoh but im not sure. They stay in tune OK but i got spoiiled from using my Hohner which never goes out of tune. Are there are direct replacement tuners that would fit in my Godin that arent too expensive but stay in tune well?

2. NV43345

NV43345

If I were going to look into replacing Tuners, I would check
    out Sperzel Tuners. I have 22 Basses and I have to say my
    2 1994 Carvin Basses have Sperzel Tuners and I really like them.They are very well made. Carvin use to sell them, but
    I do not think they have them any more.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Im not sure if they would fit nicely or if i would have to drill more holes...?

4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman

Hipshot Ultralights are a direct replacement for the Gotohs if you order the right set. However, they're pretty expensive.

Also, keep in mind that there are a wide variety of factors that can affect how often a bass needs to be retuned that have nothing to do with the quality of the tuners themselves, including simple things like using a gigbag rather than a hard case to transport the bass (since the tuners get pushed or bumped more in a gigbag).

Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lonote

lonote

Figjam...if they're Gotohs, there are screws in the "wing" ends of the tuners. You may want to tighten them. They are for adjusting the tension of the tuner. If those screws are too loose, there will be a bit of play in the tuners. If you tighten them up the play will disappear, the tuning will be a little more precise and it should stay in tune a little better but this is certainly a subtle adjustment; you won't notice anything dramatic. By the way, a lot (probably most) tuning problems are caused by strings binding in the nut rather than bad tuners.

7. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

If you switch the Godin tuners...you can put the old ones into the SX!

8. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

Figjam, these are Schaller tuners on your Godin, not Gotoh's.

9. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

Nope, the SX have "elephant ear" tuners, which probably have bigger posts, therefore need larger holes.

10. Osama_Spears

Osama_Spears

I figured that :meh:

My Ibanez and my SX's tuner posts are different sizes...but the Godin looks somewhat the same

11. Figjam

Figjam

If they are Schallers, which you say they are and i belive you because you work/used to work for Godin, Iis there a way to tighten the "play" or w/e.

12. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

As Lonote said, try tightening the screw on top of the tuner's knob.