1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question about Warwick necks.

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Zarathustra3, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Zarathustra3

Zarathustra3 Supporting Member

Do you guys do solid wood necks? I have never seen one that didn't have either 2-3 mm or .6 veneer stripes. And if not would it be possible to get the stripes the same wood as the rest of the neck so it's all one color?

2. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I’m sure through the custom shop if you wanted a solid neck it can be done. I have owned basses with both a solid piece of maple and with laminates. The belief of Warwick and many builders is that wood as a whole does not like to be straight by any means, having a single piece of wood cut in any way still will have more of a chance to bow or twist. Multi laminate neck assembly having woods cut and glued together with grains going in different directions together will ensure a longer life of twist free and bow free stability and be more rigid and strong. I have had necks of both designs and I have had issues with both and both with none. As a whole though my favorite playing sounding and most reliable necks were multi piece laminate design.

http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=WOOD_NECK&submenuID=14620&katID=14626

Some Warwick basses are stock designed with veneer strips between the laminates and some are not. Looking through the web site at the different models is the best way to find out. Warwick provides excellent pictures and descriptions and building philosophies to look and read through. I only wish I was on my way to winter NAMM on the west coast to be a part of the new roll outs from Warwick for 2013. Wenge necks are coming back and that is exciting news as I’m sure there will be plenty more to be excited about. I can’t wait to see and hear all the new Warwicks products.

3. TechJunky

TechJunky Supporting Member

If you want a one piece neck, I don't recall seeing one from warwick, and as stated above, most manufacturers don't do them. If, however, all you're looking for is a neck of just one wood with no stringers or laminates, that they do. Most, if not all, standard bolt on models are mad this way. My Streamer LX is a three piece Ovangkol neck, no laminates between. All the corvettes I've owned, as well as the thumb bo I owned and various thumb bo and fortress models, all had either an Ovangkol or Wenge neck with nothing else. Neck thru models I haven't seen, but I'm sure the custom shop could do it without issue.