Question about wiring 2 cabs heritage svt cl

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by The_Robster, Dec 2, 2013.

1. The_Robster

The_Robster

Hey guys,
    I have an ampeg svt cl heritage. Currently my cab is an ampeg 410HlF classic. However recently I've been hearing distortion in the speakers when I'm pushing them and a lack of them being able to hit those low B string notes. I decided to add a 15 and just bought the ampeg PN-115HLF in hopes that the 15 inch speaker gives more impact and definition to the low end.
    However I just realized that the pn115 is rated at 8 OHM and the 410hlf is rated at 4 OHM.
    My amp is capable of running in 4 and 2 ohm. It has 1 speakon and 2 1/4 inch speaker jacks. I would prefer to use the speakon if possible but the conflicting ohms are puzzling me on how to wire this setup?
    Should I run them both in parallel? If so should I set the impedance to 4 or 2 ohm?
    Can I plug one speaker into the speakon jack and the other into one of the 1/4 inch jacks?
    I haven't wired multiple cabs before so if somebody knowledgable can help me out it would be much appreciated!
    Another thing I was wondering is if it is possible to rewire my 410hlf into an 8 ohm configuration?
    -Thank You :bassist:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not possible to rewire the 410hlf to anything but 16 ohms. If you use both, you should set the head on 2 ohms, as tube heads generally take an impedance mismatch better at lower impedances than the cab setup. Whether you use the speakons or not, all the jacks are wired in parallel and the resulting setup is going to be 2.67 ohms regardless of method of hookup.

Won't comment on the philosophy behind your cab buying choices, although I think you should have gotten a second 410hlf instead ;)

3. The_Robster

The_Robster

Thanks Jimmy!
    Honestly I've been using that 410 for around 5 years now and can use a change in speaker depth so I thought I'de give the 15" sound a try. I'll admit I got a little too excited on pulling the trigger on that pn15 but it sounds like my 410hlf is crapping out to me. Do cabs usually have a life expectancy? I just got that svt head recently and maybe I'm just pushing too much power at the cab?
    I don't know if I like this new pn cab, perhaps I would be better off with a second 8 ohm cab? Maybe I should just add another PN 2212 or 410 down the line...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Cabs can last a very very long time if you treat them right, so if it sounds like it's crapping out, it's because you're trying to throttle it too hard.

Also, I've found that mixing different cabs almost never works as well as using matching cabs. I know a lot of bass players do it, but it opens yourself up to potential phasing problems and volume imbalance problems between the cabs. Plus you're always going to be limited in volume by the cab that takes the least amount of power.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Major Softie

Major Softie

You can, though, try both cabs. A 410 and a 115 of the same resistance in parallel will each get the same power, and that's not a good setup. But, with an 8 ohm 115 and a 4 ohm 410, the 410 will get twice the power of the 115, which is probably a much better balance.

Jimmy's cautions are appropriate, but you can try it. It may sound very good (or not), but make sure you are checking it out at audience distances, not just where you will hear it in the band.

7. Forrrest

Forrrest

do what ever you can to send that PN115 back.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The 410hlf is more capable of low end rumble then the 15 is, by far. The assumption that a 15 will add anything useful to a 410 is where a lot of bassists go wrong. I too suggest reading the faq's and stickies, to get a better understanding of how all this stuff really works, before your next cab purchase.

9. The_Robster

The_Robster

What makes you say that?

I've heard this before but don't really believe it. A 410 pushes more air I'm aware of that but for actual note definition I'm positive a 15 can reproduce low notes better. At least that's the way it works with subwoofers.

Surely there are some people who have tried the 410/115 setup in the past. If anyone has used this setup before feel free to chime in..

10. Forrrest

Forrrest

Your situation is even worse then the general 410+115 cab pair up because your 115 is double the ohms of the 410. This will result in the 115 getting half the power compared to the 410. your SVT head pushes 300 watts - 200 watts going to the 410, 100 watts to the 115. You believe 100 watts into the 115 will give you more low note definition then the 200 watts going into the 410? Your 410 is also ported to push different low frequencies (some would say lower, others will say it's just air movement).

Subwoofers use crossovers to limit the frequency range going to a speaker to make it more efficient in that range, do you plan on using a crossover?

and remember speaker size =/= frequency response.

11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You are wrong.............

All that a speakers size tells you is how big it is.

There are 10" subs, and 15's that are for mids.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The only thing you can tell about a cab by speaker size alone is the size of the speaker. Case in point: the SVT 410hlf's lowest usable frequency is 28hz, while the SVT 410he's lowest usable frequency is 43 hz. The SVT 115e's lowest usable frequency is 33 hz. The PN115hlf's lowest usable frequency , however, is 28 hz, so it's a bit of a push with the 410hlf. But it just goes to demonstrate that you can't tell how a cab sounds by speaker size alone.

13. The_Robster

The_Robster

We'll shoot now I'm worried. Tried to cancel but didn't go through...
    Tell me, would it be wise to send back the 115 when it gets here and instead order a 410HLF heritage to add to my current 410hlf classic?
    Would this help reproduce more bass into my sound?
    The heritage is wired in 4 ohm so together that would bring the load to 2 ohm which works for my amp. Do you guys think that is the better way to go?
    -thanks

14. Forrrest

Forrrest

yes, i'd go for two of the same cabs and then EQ accordingly.
    I'd consider the HLF classic and heritage to be the same cab.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Honestly, yes I would do that. The amp will be happier with a full-on 2 ohm load, and the cabs would match better. Since you have a Classic already, I might stick with that, although the Heritage would look totally great with your head and there is an improvement in tone with the Heritage line vs the Classic line. Don't worry...it's nothing that money can't fix ;)