1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question about wood..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RxFunk, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RxFunk

RxFunk

My father told me he has some solid pieces of 100 year old mahogany. The pieces are 1" thick, and he thinks we should laminate and stack them together to form a body. I'm curious as to how would this work? Is mahogany a good body wood? Is laminating and stacking a bad idea? Thanks in advance guys.
  2. Snort

Snort

Yes its a good body wood, it would help if we knew the sizes of the pieces you have, but in general yes laminating is fine, you can mix it with other wood types to get nice contrasting effects. Have a look through some of the examples of builds on this site and you will see how some of these craftsmen do it. Lots of research is the best way.
  3. MrArose13

MrArose13 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Luthier:RoseBud basses & Guitars LLC
    Mahogany is a great body wood, and gluing two pieces together to get one thick piece (veneering) is not a problem. Your only down side MIGHT be Weight. Some veneer of a contrasting wood say, maple or something, in between the top and back would be a nice touch. Or a full top with a accent veneer. Go forth and have fun
  4. RxFunk

RxFunk

Its 36"L 18"W 1"H. I'll keep on browsing through the LC, it's always inspiring to see what they can do. Thanks for the tip!
  5. RxFunk

RxFunk

I actually hadn't thought about weight, that may be a problem. If the wood has a nice grain, I'll probably keep it plain, but if it doesn't, I'll see if he could get something to contrast from one of his coworkers. Thanks for your input!
  6. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    If it is some of the heavy stuff, (the weight varies from piece to piece) you can always chamber it.
  7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Alembic and many other builders use Mahogany and I have owned several mahogany basses. Great wood for a bass.
  8. mogpipe

mogpipe

My Schecter C4 has a maple body, really nice!
  9. RxFunk

RxFunk

The pieces are actually leafing from an antique dining table, if that helps.
  10. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    SO it has finish on one side?
  11. RxFunk

RxFunk

I believe so, I haven't seen them yet, so I can't say for sure, but I would be quite surprised if they didn't.
  12. MrArose13

Disclosures:
    I'd turn it into a body, sounds like fun!
  13. RxFunk

RxFunk

I think so too, we'll see how it goes!
  14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas

Disclosures:
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    You could always create a mahogany top on a lighter wood, which would allow you to create more than one instrument.
  15. RxFunk

RxFunk

That's definitely an idea, but it's the only wood I for sure have access to to make a body from, so I think I'll keep it for the body wood. Thank you for your suggestion though!
  16. KramerDon

KramerDon

Les Pauls have mahogany bodies,some two piece some one.Just be aware there are many many different kinds of mahogany with different qualities
  17. RxFunk

RxFunk

This is true, my classical guitar is actually mahogany on the back and sides as well, which I didn't know until this morning.