Question: Ampeg SVT Head on top of Ampeg 8-10s?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VotiV5Strings, Oct 28, 2013.

1. VotiV5Strings

VotiV5Strings

I just purchased the combo Ampeg SVT Tube Head and the Ampeg 8x10 Cab. I have a question. The guitar player that sold the rig to me said that it is actually better for both the speakers and the tubes if i sat the amp head on floor-stand it came with instead of on top of the 8-10s when actively playing.

When playing, his logic was that the speakers bring so much grawl and boom that the tubes might be affected over time. Also the tubes in the amp get so hot that could possibly affect the speakers in the cab.

This makes sense, however it might not be true at all.

Can a bass gear head who knows this ampeg combo answer this for me? I try to look it up but it is always just sites selling the amps. Multiple answers would be great to hear other opinions or facts.
  2. thedudebrah

thedudebrah Supporting Member

Interested in what others have to say. I've always played mine with the head on top of the cab without issue. As far as I know, the head on the cab has been a standard.
  3. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I have never had an issue using any head on any cab.

Now point 1) the vibrations and the effect on the tubes - fine I can grant that. But let's also be reasonable- the best tubes back in the day were made for military purposes and the stress of a MIG fighter seems to me to be higher on a tube than a 8x10. But still, I can kinda see his point and where he could come to that conclusion.

Point 2 about the heat from the head affecting the speakers is total rubbish. No where near enough heat makes it through the feet to be an issue.
  4. oboylebass

oboylebass

I believe this to be hogwash. Players have put their SVTs on top of their cabinets for literally decades without issue. I've done it, and I've also dropped my head several times. They're built for the rigors of the road. Now, your hearing on the other hand, that's a different story.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. eno50

eno50

It will not hurt anything with the head on the cab,like it should be..
    It also won't hurt anything to put on a stand either
    But as heavy as the head is ,it would take an earthquake to shake the tubes out of socket,I play loud with mine and never had a problem , It's up to you what you wan't to do.
  7. VotiV5Strings

VotiV5Strings

Thanks guys. I guess it probably doesn't matter. I'm new to TalkBass so i figured I would get the dumb question out of the way.

Granted the guy who sold it to me was a guitar player who didn't know all that much about Bass or the gear itself. He was well-off because i got the whole set up for just $1300, when the head alone goes for about 2 grand these days. So he was probably just telling me what somebody else told him.

Either way I love playin that rig. It's a bagillion times better than a GK 600 with a Hartke 4-10 that's for sure.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Actually, $1300 is only slightly below average for a used SVT and 810e. Still a pretty good deal, though. And it really is a dream rig. Enjoy!