1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question before NAD thread...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VincentGrim, Dec 5, 2012.

1. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

So, I just got a 8-ohm Mesa Boogie 610 and a Ampeg SVT 7 Pro. ((Just for future reference, the Mesa is getting 600 watts from the SVT)). Now, I do not need to pickup another cab by any means, but getting the full 1000 sounds pretty tempting. What I'm thinking I'd like to do is add a 210 ((Mesa 8-ohm powerhouse)).

So I've read all of the forums about mixing different drivers (410+115, for example) and some threads that address adding a 210 to a 410 cab, but I can't seem to find one that answers this specific question:

Does making sure the 210 is getting less power than the 610 really make that much of a difference if the 210 can handle more power than it will be getting anyways?

Here's the stats, just so it's clear:
    Currently, an AMpeg svt7 pro is pumping 600 watts into one 8-ohm 610 cab that can handle 900+.
    Potentially, an Ampeg svt7 Pro could be pumping 500 watts into an 8-ohm 610 and 500 watts into an 8-ohm 210 on top of it, which can handle 600 watts.

Is there a problem with this that outweighs the benefits of 400 more watts and having some speakers more level with my ears?

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    For get those manufacturers specs, they do not tell you how much power a cab can handle only when its voice coil will melt. The majority of commercial cabinets are mechanically limited to about half of their posted power handling specs. I would seriously doubt that 210 can survive more than 300 or so watts, and your 610 can probably be driven quite close to its limits with 600 watts.

Zero gain, more to loose, and you bear the cost of more gear/schlepage.

3. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Think of it this way - 500 watts divided by 6 speakers = 83.333 watts per speaker. 500 watts divided by two = 250 watts per speaker.

If you want an 810 anyway, just get a 4Ω 810. You'll have a nice even 125 watts to each one.

Technically this isn't quite right, since turning your amp up loud enough to achieve 1000 watts would likely make the whole bad sound like poo anyway, but you get the idea.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Getting all the watts from your amp is highly over-rated anyway. And yes, +1, the imbalance between a 610 and a 210 will almost assure you blow that 210 before very long.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Are you sure it's 8 ohm??? - because AFAIK, Mesa has only made 4 ohm 610s...

Also, adding a 210 to a 610 is never a smart move - if the 610 isn't enough by itself - which is unlikely - replace it with either an 810 or a pair of 410s...

- georgestrings

7. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

8. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

The space on the back of the cab that has such information as ohms, SN, ect, unmistakably says 8-ohms. There the will be pics when I get around to making the NAD thread, or maybe I'll take some tonight for this thread. The cab in question has already been discussed in this thread:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/mesa-cab-identification-930838/

Slightly vague answers in there, but yeah. All of that being said, I think I'm gonna try to get in touch with Mesa and see if I can't get a official answer out of them, just to be 100% sure that this is a 8-ohm cab. If so, I'll probably see if Emperor can make another 8 ohm 610. Like I said, I don't need to add anything, as it's an intensely mighty rig as it is... I'm just a little crazy. :ninja: