Question: Buzz issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sonic, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump Supporting Member

Hi all,

To start, please forgive my relative ignorance when it comes to bass electronics. I can play 'em but really don't know much about wiring.

That said, I got a bass (MP Jag) in the mail that has an Audere JZ3 3-band preamp in it. Upon plugging it in, I noticed a pretty loud buzzing noise once my amp was on. The second I reached down to adjust the controls, the noise stopped. I lifted my hand off and the noise started. I noticed after a few tries that as soon as I touch any part of the control plate, the noise went dead silent. I assume this to be a grounding issue but honestly have no idea how to address the issue.

The amplifier I'm using is an old tube-driven Traynor that runs dead quiet with my passive instruments, so I figure it has to be the preamp. Any advice?

Thanks.

2. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump Supporting Member

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

It is a shielding issue, the noise would get louder with a grounding issue. Give your a bass a proper shielding job and that buzz will go away. There are lots of guides on here but I am on my phone now so if you need further assistance PM me and I will share some knowledge.

Good luck.