Question for Ampgeg Guru's

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 1stchopper, Mar 2, 2014.

1. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Currently playing through a Fusion 550 and Neo 410. Tried out an Svt Classic through 810E last weekend and do believe that I will have one by the end of the year. Question is in most of the places we play in the rooms are so small that an 810 would be considered the 5th man in the band. Looking at the Ampeg web site notice that they have a 212AV cabinet. Has any one played the all tube head through the new 212AV. Hows it sound? Power handling? Low B? My GK rig sounds good but wow, the classic/810 combo just killed it. Just thinking about the 212AV as a scalable alternative to the 810

2. pica

pica

I'll let JimmyM handle this one. :D

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i wish I could tell you what it sounds like, but I haven't played a 212av yet. However, looking at the specs and judging from the reviews of those I know who have, it sounds like THE small cab to have if you don't want to lug an 810e but you want to use an SVT with a smaller cab that sounds sort of like an 810e. Now you won't be able to crank an SVT up to where the power tubes distort because it would likely blow the speakers, but I would think it would handle the clean volume of an SVT.

4. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Then I guess I should look at the 410he

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Sorry, just looked. They're 8 ohm cabs.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The 410he is really the closest smaller cab in spirit to the 810e, but it's an 8 ohm cab, and the SVT is meant to run at 4 or 2 ohms. That said, Bill Hughes, the inventor of the SVT, said on here that an SVT can easily handle an 8 ohm load, and I've run them occasionally with a 410he with no problems. Tightens up the sound a little in a way that makes me like a 4 ohm load better, but still sounds awesome.

8. oboylebass

oboylebass

I've been using an 8ohm cabinet (older Ampeg 2x10 PRO series) with my all-tube SVT for years. Playing it hard too. Lots and lots of gigs...only have had to do routine maintenance.

9. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I've used SVT's at 8 ohms plenty of times but I find the tone suffers if I do... just imo/ime.

10. oboylebass

oboylebass

You could run 2 smaller 8ohm cabinets. I've done this (2x10 plus a 1x15) and LOVED it.

11. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Thanks for the replies so far. The 2 smaller cabs seems 2 be the solution. The heads the easy part.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Two 212av's should handle a cranked SVT and run at 2 ohms, which is "proper."

13. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Get out the popcorn , I'm probably gonna blither on this one.
    I don't kmow what your gig situations are like so I'll just cover the whole gamut.
    If you are dealing with a lot of steps to get to where you are playing,The 2 12's are probably gonna be your best bet. You're still probably going to want some help schlepping them though. They are not so heavy that 1 person can't handle them but they are a bit awkward for one person. As stated above , two of these cabs should be able to handle just about anything you want to throw at them. One would probably be fine for most stuff that's not terribly loud but that's going to have to be your call.
    An 8 10's footprint on the ground really isn't any bigger than a 2 12 that's not stacked. If there aren't a lot of steps to deal with , an 8 10 has wheels and a handle built into it and handles just like a handtruck with very little effort. If you have a van or small PU truck , you can back an 8 10 up to it and lever the thing into the truck (or van) with very little effort. It has rails on the back so you won't mess up the cab or your truck while doing this. I load mine in and out all the time and as my sig below states , I'm an old fart. Small venue??? Volume knob! Lastly , nothing and I mean nothing I have ever tried sounds as good as an SVT through an 8 10. There are plenty of people in TB that might argue that point....so be it. And now that I have blithered and made your decision even harder , I bid you adiou.

14. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This is the money quote right there. Totally agree.

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

So, if you want to sound "sort of like" an SVT810, without lugging the 810, would you get closer with the 212AV or with 2-210AVs? I'm contemplating adding a second 210AV but this 212AV sounds like it could also do the trick!

16. Bingo

Bingo Banned

Gotta go with sharkbait on this one. Loading an 8-10 in and out of most places is actually easier than lugging a 4-10, 2-12, or any two other cabs you can think of. Get the 8-10 and drag it around by the towel bar most gigs. Keep the GK cab if you ever have to run a compact rig. I installed a couple of hard plastic runners up the back of mine. They made sliding it in and out of trucks a snap. They kept the cab tolex from getting damaged too. And, like he said, once you get it in place on stage, it takes up no more room than the head. In fact, it is actually shallower than most 4-10 or 2-12 cabs (front to back). So it will actually take up less room in many cases than a shorter stack.

Every bass player should own an SVT tube head and an 8-10 at some point. Go ahead and do it now. You will look back on it fondly one day.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's a very good question. Wish I could answer for you. My go-to non-SVT rig is a new V4B and two 210av's. But I do have to add a little bass to them from the amp to get the low end closer to the low end of the 810e. Would I have to with the 212av? Don't know...nobody around here carries them, and my deal with Ampeg isn't for as much free stuff as I want ;)

18. johnpbass

johnpbass

I really like the tone of the 210AV - to my ears it sounds very SVT like. I add a bit of bass as well. The 212AV would give you a little more power handling I suppose, but if that's not a factor (I'm not playing any big stages these days) it's hard to beat the portability of those 210s.
    I'd really like to check out the 212 for comparison though.

19. 1stchopper

1stchopper

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the replies as well. Nice learning experience. One more question. Is anyone using 2 svt 115E cabs with the svt-cl? Verdicts,opinions?