1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question For Canadian CD Buyers...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 13, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

I notice that many cd's for sale on Amazon.ca are shipped from other countries like UK for example.....

If you have bought any from UK and had them shipped to Canada.......what did they charge you for import duties and all that stuff?

For example:- a $12 dollar cd would cost how much totally from there to your mail pickup?

Many of the titles I want seem to be offshore or UK.....

2. Amara

Amara Fumble-Fingered Beginner Supporting Member

I haven't been dinged for duties on something as small as a CD.

3. ZenG

ZenG

That's good to know......thanks......:)

4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

This isn't CD related, and perhaps you're already aware... But you should know that DVDs & Blu-rays are region coded for those specific players in different areas of the world. For example, Region 1 is for North America.

You can get around it, such as region free players. (Not 100% effective.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

I don't recall ever being charged duty on a small item when shipped via the postal service. Fedex and UPS are both famous for charging bogus "brokerage" fees though even on small items.

7. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

If you are in Canada and buying from Amazon.ca, then you are buying from a Canadian company "in Canada". Just because the product originated in the UK doesn't mean they should be able to charge you duty on it. That would be like going to your local CD store, picking a CD off the shelf, and being told at the counter "since this band is from the UK, you have to pay duty on top of the sticker price and HST."

If you are buying from Amazon.co.uk or they are explicit that you are buying something in another country, not paying Canadian taxes, and it is being shipped over borders, then you could get dinged. Typically, you would basically be paying Canadian sales tax on whatever the value of the product is... so less than $2 on your $12 CD. I wouldn't be worried about it for such a small ticket item either way.

8. ZenG

ZenG

I don't know what it is about the UK....but they seem to have all kinds of cd's over there compared to other places....

I tried buying MP3 music off Amazon.com and they weren't having any of it because I live in Canada

Amazon.ca has almost zilch in MP3.......

But a lot of Amazon.ca's cd's are shipped from the UK.....