1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question for Conklin GT4 or GT5 owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoR Bass, Apr 7, 2014.

1. CoR Bass

CoR Bass Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    I picked up a Gt-5 recently, the one with the low, mid, hi EQ and slap switch. When I turn the pickup blend knob to the middle, the volume goes down. It doesn't do that on my GTBDs. This normal?

2. Red Cell

Red Cell

Media:
    Albums:
    My GT4 doesn't seem to drop much at all but the tone does change so that might be what you are hearing. Have you swapped batteries?

3. CoR Bass

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    The change in volume is pretty significant. I tested the battery when I got it and it was fine. It's almost like the EQ drops out when the knob is in the middle. Sounds great when turned all the way to the neck or the bridge. May have to have it looked at.

4. Red Cell

Red Cell

Media:
    Albums:
    I would love to see what a 5'r plays like. They are fairly rare here (Considering I am in Conklin's back yard) and I really want to find one to match my GT4. Hopefully yours doesn't have too much that is wrong with it. Could be a bad pot or a really dirty one.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CoR Bass

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    There's a new one on eBay from the seller that I got mine from. It's $899, but they'll probably drop the price. They did a few months back, that's when I snagged mine($749).
    DSCN1607.jpg

7. Red Cell

Red Cell

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah that is going to be out of the budget with a new little one due next month. I would have to liquidate some gear to even think about it.. The burst is sexy on there though.

8. CoR Bass

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Congrats on the little one. I have 2 myself. My music was put on hold after the first and basses collected dust. Got back into it when my second was born. I feel you on liquidating gear. I want to get some new stuff, but there's nothing I want to get rid of to get them.

9. Red Cell

Red Cell

Media:
    Albums:
    I forgot to ask.. What case are you using?

10. CoR Bass

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    So far I've just been using a Coffin Case gig bag. I also have a Coffin Case Black Kross it fits in and another hardshell it fits in. Not sure what kind it is, came with a bass I bought on ebay. I just got an after market Conklin case (CGC45) when they went down to $40, which is what it's pictured in. I don't think you can find them online anymore. The day after I saw them for that price, they all disappeared. It's kind of cheap quality, but pretty good for $40. I'm keeping an eye on the CGC67 cases, probably grab one or two when they go down to $40.

11. throbgod13

throbgod13 Supporting Member

check the wiring of the pickups.. sounds like one pickup is 180 degrees out of phase to cause a dramatic volume drop when the blend is set to center..

12. SneakyT

SneakyT

It wasn't a phase issue. That would have been weird as it has active pickups. It was a bad pot. Well wrong pot actually. Crazy that I randomly stumbled onto this thread as I'm working on the instrument

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  13. SneakyT

SneakyT

Well I was wrong. It had both the wrong pot and the active pickup was out of phase! We're waiting to hear back on a replacement pickup now since they are epoxy potted. First time I've ever seen an active pickup wired out of phase.

14. throbgod13

throbgod13 Supporting Member

it is surprising.. but, i suppose it happens..

15. CoR Bass

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    had them replaced with some passive MK1s, all is good!