Question for DR Fans and Former Fans

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stepswork4me, Feb 8, 2013.

1. stepswork4me

stepswork4me Supporting Member

I've been using Hi beams for over 20 years and haven't found anything that I like better. The piano like ring out and sustain that they bring is a thing of beauty. I've tried sun beams, low riders, black beauties, blue steels, chromes, boomers, basics, adarrios... Has anyone found anything that beats them for the sound they get?
  2. stepswork4me

So I take it that the hi-beam?s can't be beaten?
  3. Keithwah

Keithwah Supporting Member

I use them too. I do like the Chromes and Blue Steels as well, but....I'd rather go DR Hi-beams. Love that sound! Wish they were a bit easier on the fingers like the Chrome, but no pain no gain.
  4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I've never found another string that sounds or feels anything like them. Been using them on my J's for a decade or so. They last a long time, and have a very nice, full range, non 'ganky' tone.

The Lo Rider Steels are cool for those who want a bit more traditional hex core feel (tighter) and tone (less sweet, more grind up top).

GREAT strings, and they last a LONG time for me!
  5. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Fat Beams if u want some more beef to ur hi-beams!
  6. 4-string

4-string Supporting Member

+1. I got my first set of Fat Beams having no expectations really, but ended up liking them even more than the Hi Beams. This is for my Sadowsky MV4.

Not that there's a night and day difference, I could easily swap between the two and still be happy. For some reason though I come back to the Fat Beams.
  7. drnknmstr

drnknmstr Supporting Member

Ugh, I like the sound of Hi-Beams but they never intonate properly. The D-string in many sets have been flat up the neck and I'd have to adjust the D-string saddle like crazy to get it close to tune. I know some others who've complained of the same thing.

I wonder if it's because of the roundcore. Though I will say Fat-Beams are pretty sweet, and so far my Sun Beams have been fine. I've personally been a nickel guy anyway.
  8. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Sunbeams for me. Basically the same as the Hi-Beams, but nickel wrapped. I don't like stainless steel. I recently put Fat Beams on one of my Carvins, as kind of a last-ditch attempt at liking stainless steel. I like them a lot better than any other stainless steel string I've tried, but I'll go back to Sunbeams when they wear out.
  9. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

You already tried and dismissed what I love: sunbeams. Just love the sound and the feel.
  10. stepswork4me

I know that I'm a steel rounds kind of guy. They get growlly on the low and low mids and have that "zing" on the top. There are strings I haven't tried and was just wondering.
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Have you tried Rotosound 66?
  12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Love DR's. Low-Rider Nickels & have Sunbeam's (nickel) on my 2002 Precision.

They feel & sound right.
  13. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars Supporting Member

I've used hi beams for 18 years without a problem.
    With DR,s you've got to compress the string above the nut.
    I cut the string then make a1/4" bend fully backwards and squeeze the string together with pliers.
    I do loads of string changes and most of my students and clients use DR,s.
    I also install only DR,s on my custom builds.
    The only problem I've ever had was with their DDT strings and only the E or 115. They have come apart just above the nut around the string post especially on fender basses. They MUST be crimped to hold all those wrappings together.
    Other than that they are the best string out there especially for their sound.
    In the last 45 years I've tried them all.
  14. Jarrett

Jarrett Supporting Member

This is exactly how I feel about them as well. Been using HiBeams for 20 years or so now. IF I can't find them I will use GHS Boomers or Ken Smith strings, but I feel like HiBeams are part of my sound.

A year or two back, I tried the FatBeams and liked them a little more. They are only slightly different from the HiBeams, just a little more girth to the sound I think. I could happily play HiBeams or FatBeams, but given the choice, I buy the FatBeams.

I do like Sunbeams on my fretless too.

But to answer the OP, no I haven't found a non DR string that I like more than DRs. I'd like to, just to try something new, but I keep coming back to DRs time and time again.
  15. monkeybass68

monkeybass68 Supporting Member

Love the Hi-Beams too! Used to use LaBella Deep Talkin', but once I switched about 8 or 9 years ago, I'd never use anything else!
  16. stepswork4me

I haven't tried the Roto's or the Fatbeams. I wouldn't be surprized if the Fatbeams had that tone. Do the Roto's have the piano like sound? On another note, I've never had to do anything special to any of the DR's as far setting them up, crimping etc... I always use basses with the angled headstock... no fender like basses.
  17. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

I liked Fat Beams better than High Beams, but I can't get past that stainless steel finger gripping, so I use nickel strings. Sunbeams sound great, too. I choose to use a different brand of strings, though.
  18. Gibbsalot

Gibbsalot

Having switched between Hibeams and Dunlop SS, I slightly prefer the Dunlops.
  19. stepswork4me

I take it that the concensus is that Hi-Beam users will easily take to Fatbeams and that change between the two is an addition of "thickness" to the tone without losing the zing, clarity, or piano like growl?
  20. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member