1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question for Kala U-Bass owners..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kuroth, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kuroth

Kuroth

I am looking at buying a SOLID SPRUCE TOP U-BASS Fretted..

I noticed on the Kala web site the one I am looking at has the number 2 in the name.. Like this

SOLID SPRUCE TOP U-BASS-2 Fretted

My question is.. Does the 2 mean it is a newer model? And there use to be a SOLID SPRUCE TOP U-BASS-1 Fretted?

Or just a SOLID SPRUCE TOP U-BASS Fretted

The one I am thinking about buying is New but they just call it a U-BASS SOLID SPRUCE TOP(No 2 or nothing in the name)

Thanks!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Originally, the ubass just referred to the solid mahogany version. The ubass 2 was the spruce top. I'm fairly sure there's just one kind of spruce top, though there have been slight changes in newer models. Where exactly are you looking?

3. Kuroth

Kuroth

Some Music Stores on Ebay...

4. Gorn Captain

It's hard to say really. Newer models have slightly different input jacks. They can also have either no truss rod, an unadjustable truss rod, or a fully adjustable truss rod. Personally, I think you're better off going with sweetwater music or a bigger internet retailer like that. The ebay seller might be perfectly legit, but probably won't have newer models.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kuroth

Kuroth

Thanks for the advise..

7. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The first uBass was Mahogany. The Spruce was designated 2. It's not a newer version. Kala is coming out with updated versions of all their acoustic/electric uBasses with Shadow pickups and built-in tuners for $399. They also have the new Rumbler in Mahogany.

8. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

I would highly recommend sweetwater as I bought a ubass from them that had a few minor issues and they gladly exchanged--i didnt even have to pay shipping! Worth it for a few extra buks

9. Gorn Captain

The new rumbler is the the only one that's gonna be $399. It'll be laminate mahogany with silver rumblers. The mahogany, spruce, acacia and exotic mahogany are gonna be updated versions of the original models with built in tuners, with pahoehoe strings and probably at the same price price they are now-between about $415 and $650. The spruce top is solid with laminate sides and the mahogany is all solid. Everything else is laminate.

10. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009 Supporting Member

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Rumbler and any other models like the solid top spruce? The rumbler is $100 cheaper and I just wanna know what the difference in quality may be.

11. DeanT

The Rumbler has a built-in EQ. The originals don't. It's cheaper too, so not a bad deal.

12. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Bass drops and breakdowns since 2009 Supporting Member

Is it lower quality wood? Laminate vs solid top? Any change in tone though could easily be made up for by the EQ. The Rumbler definitely looks like the better deal.

13. DeanT

The Rumbler has laminate Mahogany back and sides. The originals have Mahogany (or Spruce). There will be a slight difference in tone, but as you said it can be made up with the EQ.