Question for Music Man owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassman8416, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Hey folks,
    I am looking to get a Music Man bass. I have been a Fender Jazz guy for years, but after trying a Sterling and a Sting Ray recently and also the years of enjoying the sound form countless players I am ready to come over to Music Man.
    I was kind of interested int eh newer Classic Sabre, have not been able to find one to play. The main reasons is that I like the diversity it claims to have. I also want active electronics, and the Music Man sound...any thoughts or advice?
  2. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

TRUST ME!!!! Any music man bass will do it! I have a Sterling Ray34 and it IS the best thing in the world. Put on any type of roundwound strings and you will not regret it. I use DR High Beams and I can get any sound out of it that I want. Funk. Roll down the tone a bit and a perfect blues tone. Tune down and use a pick and you're metal as hell. I honestly may not ever buy another bass because of it.
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Guitar Center has tons of them, if your local store doesnt have one then you can simply order one in if you look through their platinum room page. Then you can try it in the store and decide if you want to continue the purchase.
  4. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

^not only does guitar center have them at their stores, but for cheaper too! I got mine for about $635? But online it was over $1000. I just really lucked out that day lol
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassman8416

Either of you ever try a Classic Sabre, seems to have a bit of everything tonally and also has the string dampeners.
  7. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Nah. The only MusicMan I've ever tried is the one I own. Lol
  8. Lou Bottini

Lou Bottini Supporting Member

My '88 Stingray is great bass. Maple neck, two band EQ, string mutes I really like it. If buying new I would lean toward the Stingray Classic, for some reason I like the sound of the two band EQ better than three band.
  9. Radio Face

Radio Face

If I were to purchase another fretted MM bass, it would be the classic 5er because, I like the finished neck, strings through the body and 2 band eq. If MM necks were a bit wider with 19mm string spacing, 35"scale in a 5, and had an active passive switch, I would buy one now, in a fretless version.
    Jay Mastro likes this.
  10. Bassman8416

I am a fan of the narrow spacing, I already have a Modulus Qf, so i was thinking more along the lines of a 4-string. There is a Guitar Center that is about a solid hour ride that has a couple of Music Man basses, including a Sabre. So I think its worth the ride.
  11. Guinness20

Guinness20

Good man! Recruiting another convert haha. Only recently been converted myself. In all seriousness, i play a 4hh and love it! I considered a classic, but the 3eq makes the difference. Actually, having the 2nd pickup makes the difference - I can hit that classic stingray sound, but I can also nail a jazz sound too. I get a good p bass sound with the neck pickup, but have the jazz sound absolutely nailed down. I play with my fingers and love that I can get a bright sound without having to use a pick.

[​IMG]
  12. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Grab a Sabre Classic! I have one - it's great! I owned several over the years, the last one being maybe 10 years ago - it was a 80s vintage and was a bit heavy + I mainly play 5 string, so let it go - even had one back in the mid 80s assembled from actual parts from an auction that a buddy of mine went to - the transition period from Leo to Ernie Ball ownership - anyway, put together a great bass - natural finish body with rosewood board - the old style with 3 mini toggle switches - it was also heavy and I was getting bread together to buy my first Tobias.....so, when the announcement was made about the Tony Levin Sabre, I knew it wouldn't be long before we saw the Sabre make a come back - why not, the tooling is already in place - and Mr. Ball said he'd never bring back the Sabre! I basically replaced that bass from the mid 80s - ordered the classic natural finish, rosewood board, birds eye maple option, black pickguard. I had a hell of a time deciding on color - almost got the trans white + also liked silver, and it looks like both of those colors are n/a at this time. They added trans blue and honeyburst this year - love honeyburst too, but can't afford another one of these just to get a cool color. Anyway, it's not too heavy - 9# on my scale, you can get the Stingray tone in position #1 + a P bass type of tone in the last position - middle position is both pups full on - thick funk tone. The body is a bit smaller than a Stingray, which I like. I did have a USA Sterling 4H, which was a great bass, but sold it to get the Sabre - the usual deal - GAS - sell something to get something! I have a USA Sterling 5H too - great bass. Here's a pic of mine - bought it at Bass Central last year after seeing it at NAMM 2013 - got it around May last year.

[​IMG]
  13. Bassman8416

I believe I am going to pull the trigger on one of these:
    [​IMG]
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Get the 5 string version ... the 5 string Stingrays have great B strings. Also try a bongo. They have a nice 4 band preamp.
  15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Except that Sabre's don't come in 5 string.

I just saw that Sweetwater has a Classic Sabre in black with an LE solid rosewood neck! Wowzers!
    [​IMG]
  16. Bassman8416

Yeah that was the other one I was checking out.
  17. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The Sterling H/S is a good configuration for a Jazz Bass guy. I do think the Musicman basses make you work a little harder than the Fenders do, though.
  18. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

I loved my Sterling. I still don't know why I sold it (boredom?) It was the single p'up type and so had lots of room between the neck & p'up to snap/pop etc. Very fun bass.
  19. DirkP

DirkP

Why? I'm playing Fenders for many years (and still love them) and I'm although on my first Stingray and it nearly plays itself with little to no support from my side.
    I find the ergonomics superior to that of Fender Basses. And I love the neck - I have a classic Stingray but with a satin finish neck, which is as fast as it gets.

One poster above mentioned he bought a Classic Sabre for 600,- Dollars. I find that hard to believe. In Germany a Classic Stingray is about 2600,- Euros, that equals 3.600,- Dollar (and US-guys complain about Warwick prices...)!!!

Dirk
  20. JSpradBass

JSpradBass Supporting Member

I think he bought an import model Sterling Ray34. They can be had online for $700 or less.
  21. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u

The most diverse range of tones would be HS pickup config of any model. I prefer the smaller sterling. The single coil offers such an entirely different tone. The classic is pretty cool with the string mutes on the bridge.
    Staccato likes this.