1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

question for preamp/power amp users

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RhynoRock, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

What's a popular pre amp you guys use? I've been considering buying a crown power amp and a simple rackmount graphic EQ, since I already use a SansAmp BDDI pedal, but there are a lot of options and I'm curious as to what you folks use.

I also have a three pedal wah/distortion I use occasionally that doesnt mix well going thru the SansAmp, so I have a Radial FX loop switch pedal that swaps between the SansAmp and the other pedals independently, but runs thru the EQ on my head, which is basically flat. Would an EQ provide enough signal straight into a power amp?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To the first question, there are ****loads of options, and each of them has fans here. The only sensible thing for you to do is spend some time reading through this forum. You'll find hundreds of threads about preamps.

To the second question, usually no. Most rack EQ's do not have enough gain to take an instrument-level signal and drive a PA-type power amp. There are exceptions: a few basses with very high output, a few EQ's with a lot of gain, and a few power amps that can be driven with lower signal levels. But those are exceptions.

3. Mykk

Mykk

With pre/power rack amps I prefer to go with a good tube pre. I used an Ampeg SVT-IIP for years. The SVP-CL is a good option too. I hear the Bmax-t is a good tube pre. I also see a fair amount of rack mount Line6 pre's

I have an Eden WTDI that gets used as a pre and I wish Mesa made a rack mount bass pre.

4. delta7fred

delta7fred

My choice is in my sig but that is just my choice.

There are any number of variations dependant upon what features you want and how much you are prepared to spend. Mine was a relativity low cost solution for what it gives out.

As Bongo says you need enough output level from whatever you choose as a "preamp" to drive a power amp properly. (That excludes a lot of pedals that are powered from 9V.)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rubbadubdub

rubbadubdub

I got lucky with an old Tc Electronic 1220 parametric eq/ pre amp. They made a version of this specifically for bass but this one works beter than anything else iv'e ever used including my SWR Studio 220 which I loved. You have to be careful not to set the gain to high but if you get it right then you get incredible growl but with extremely transparent and flexible eq. I paid 45 quid for it on evilbay.
    My power amp is made by IMG Stageline and is rated at 500 warrs rms in bridge mode. I havn't testedcit thoroughly on the rroad yet but it seems well built. I can hear the difference between the dither settings in Wavelab using it to power my studio monitors so I have no concerns about soundxquality. This cost me 50 quid on the bay and I don't think it had been used. for a speaker I have a 12'' Martin reflex sub used full range. It doesn't have a lot of real top end but sounds awesome for my style. The whole lot cost less than £150 and a bit of legwork.

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Why not just put the pedals, including eq pedal, direct into the BDDI from the front and use the output from that? BDDI can drive power amp no problem.

8. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

I use an Alembic F2B, a two channel tube preamp. It's pretty straight forward and simple as I am a simpleton and not into a lot of knobs and extra stuff. Plenty of tone when you want it and you can dial it back when you want to just hear the tone of your bass and not much more. I use it in conjunction with an SWR Power 750.

9. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

I used a newly acquired Crown XTI000 pushed by my VT Bass the other night through one of my SVT 410 classics. Very nice. So I just picked up a Sansamp RBI now too.

I wanted a SVP CL, but I think I'll just have to be patient until one falls into my price range.

The Crown says it should give 1100w into 4ohms or 700 into 8ohms.

Should be a nice summer.

10. Bassmann1968

Bassmann1968

Eden NAVIGATOR.
    The best Bass preamp available.
    Had been tested and proved a million times.
    Can be used with any power amp. I use it with a WT1000, also from Eden.
    I also use it as a preamp for any back line to make it sound good.
    Luckily today I just need a WTDI for that.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    As above, there are lots of options.

I personally think Jule Amps Monique absolutely kills everything else out there, but you can't go wrong with Demeter, Alembic, Ampeg SVP-CL, Sansamp RBI/RPM, ART, Fractal Audio, Rocktron Blue Thunder, etc.

12. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

+1

Also I just realized how close my signal chain is to Fred's...

13. delta7fred

delta7fred

IIRC it is just the HPF, yours being an Fdeck III and mine is a home brew fixed 35Hz 24db/oct, oh and you have a bit more cab power handling than I do as I usually gig with the little one.

14. CL400Peavey

Very true, mine is:

EBMM stingray V HS -> ART PC II -> fDeck HPF-3 -> IPR 1600 -> 1515/66/1.

Wouldnt kick your rig outta bed for eating crackers though.

15. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Check out this site that has a ton of preamp sound clips through various equipment.

My choice was an Aguilar db659.

16. delta7fred

delta7fred

I'm not familiar with that phrase so looked it up on Urban dictionary, apparently the British equivalent is "I wouldn't kick your rig out of bed for farting.

I prefer the crackers one myself, I don't like cabs that fart. :bag:

17. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Because running the other pedals thru the SansAmp sounds awful, I tweaked on that for hours one day, just no way around it. Unless I grabbed the BDDI with the FX loop built into it...hmmmmmmmm

Not to necessarily say that this is the route I'm GOING to take, just a backup plan in case my Peavey Kilobass ever fries on me.

18. CL400Peavey

Seriously check out the ART PC II. The beautiful thing about it is that you can run/power your BDDI off of phantom power from the mic section of the pre. It also adds a ton of eq control.

19. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

A microphone preamp? Never would have considered that.

I will definitely give that a whirl, thanks fellas!

20. CL400Peavey

It has a 1/4" instrument input on the front. Effects loop for the compressor, and eq I believe as well.

21. dukeisdog

dukeisdog

I run a 2xRBI into a crest Prolite 2.0 going clean/dirty and I'm really loving this rig.. Only thing else I'd love to try would be the real deal svp -cl