1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question for SX (Essex) historians/experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dougjwray, Nov 16, 2012.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

I know that I can email Kurt at Rondo Music about this, but I thought I'd ask here first.
    I own one of the now-extinct SX '62 P-Basses (can't remember the exact model name). I love its dimensions-- bigger body than a Fender, with a very chunky neck and 1 3/4" nut.
    Does anyone know whether the specs are the same on this one?

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa1rnbk.html

Rondo gives the body width, nut width, and neck radius, but not the body thickness, plus I don't have a way to measure the radius on mine.

Thanks!

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    As far as I know, ALL Rondo basses have a 12" radius.
    As for the body, hopefully someone will chime in soon. Mine is a shortscale so it's probably different.

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Nope-- the radius on the newer Ursa P-Bass is 15 3/4"
    I think this is the one that I already have:
    http://bass-creators.awardspace.com/bass-gear-4sale/sx/spb62blk.html

4. Dondabass

Dondabass Supporting Member

I have one of those older models...and I LOVE it!

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Ditto!!

7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Kurt (once again living up to his reputation for excellent customer service) answered me back already, and he said:

"They should be very nearly identical except for the headstock. I would expect some minor variations however."

So... :confused:

But, anyway, after I get paid for my next gig, I might go ahead and get a new one, just to see and compare for myself.
    The extra mass in these things really makes for a beefier tone, IMO.

9. IPA

IPA

If the bodies on those match Fender dimensions for neck/bridge/pickguard, I may have to get one of those instead of a Mighty Mite. Good price...

10. dougjwray

dougjwray

IPA, the price is good, and they really exceed expectations for that price... however, their dimensions are a bit different from Fender. (There are many threads on TalkBass about this.)

But, I have come to celebrate the differences. As I said, I think their large bodies and necks contribute to a bigger tone.

Just don't expect to put a Fender neck on an SX body, for example. Some people say they've done it, others say it can be done... but with some shaving of the neck, and others say it's not worth the trouble.