1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question for the Ibanez lovers, your favorite model, why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Feb 2, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

I am relatively new to the list of Ibanez fanboys. I have been playing for thirty years but only become a fan in the past two years. I have had very little Ibanez influence over the years mainly due to my snobbery. Well I am cured and I have really grown to a huge fan of the RB800, SR800, SR900 and the RB850. I am not familiar with modern models and they may even have basses with these model numbers now but I am particularly a fan of 80's and 90's versions and specifically the PJ version of the SR00 and the dual HB RB850. I love the look, play-ability and mostly the sound of these basses.

I am interested in learning about other Ibanez models so I would like to hear what models you guys are fans of and why.

2. armybass

Oh yeah...pictures welcome!

3. LPswim2009

LPswim2009

I bought a 2009 SR300L, great bass for the money, unfortunately sometime during the 00s, Ibanez decided to switch to 2 different pickups away from the PJ configuration. The reason why I like mine is because it was the first Lefty that I owned. The pickups on mine are curved vs the SR500 and up, because of this my only major complaint about it is there is absolutely no high end even when I have the high frequency on the amp turned all the way up

4. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Not a "lover" but my second bass is a SR1306PM. I still have it. It's what the SRXXV is based on.

New Ibanez fave. is any one with the Nordstrand pickups, although the Bartolinis are good also.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sevdog

sevdog Supporting Member

The new premiums with the Nordstrand Big Singles are worth checking out. The sound is as good as anything and VERY good construction plus passive/active switch option that the SR line was always missing.

7. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

I like Ibanez a lot! I think my fave would have to be my 1995 Atk300. I got it around that time, and it was the first bass I bought with my own money. I've bought/traded almost 50 basses since then... and I own a stable of 4 basses... one of which is the ATK!

I also like the H/H Roadstarr II, of the older Ibby models. The Black Eagle is also a fave model of mine.

Oh! I also dig the 70's "lawsuit" Ibbys!

8. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Is that 95 ATK the one with the floating headstock?

9. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Those basses are known as USATK's, and were built in PA by PBC guitars. Far and away, the best of the ATK models, and IMO, one of the best Ibanez models of the last 30 years.

[​IMG]

10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    I thought it was cool because the peg head would fall of it you take all the string off. Funny little surprise if you didn't expect it.

If you play two identical basses other than this option, it really does make a difference.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I hate the SR series with a passion but I really did enjoy my BTB 676 when I had it, it was my number 1 for a while. BTB operates under a big body, big sound mentality so they are heavy though.

I have always wanted to try an ATK but have never got the chance.

12. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I am a big fan of the BTB776...

[​IMG]

As well as the higher end SRs Like the SR5006e

[​IMG]

13. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

My first real bass was an Atk in 95 or 96. I still have it but it is mostly beat to s as it has been stolen, neglected, deffrretted etc.

I love the Atk s but not the weight and road stars from the early to mid 80 s were great too. Although I am selling mine just cause I don't need more than three basses. I will really miss it though......along with a foundation maybe the most bass for least cash ever. Someone's going to get a steal!

14. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I'd say the best Ibanez model in the history of the company was the late-70's/early 80's MC924 Musican bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. armybass

Well yeah the Musician is the end all beat all Ibanez bass for me too. But you won't score one of those on eBay for $179.00 unfortunately.

16. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    For what it's worth, I played a Musician and was less than thrilled.
    Part of it may have been the anticipation of it changing my entire world... then NOT doing that.
    Part of it may be my playing style not catering to neck thru basses.

It was put together well and the components are all good things. But it didn't make me as happy as the RB850 did.
    If you happened across one at a killer deal, it's worth checking out. But I wouldn't overpay for one unless you tried it first and fell in love.

17. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of neck-through including the musician models. Also weird pickups that you can't find replacements for.

Old Blazers, some Roadstar model. That's good stuff.

18. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

I love Ibby SRs - fast narrow neck, lightweight instrument, perfectly balanced, very cool modern design, and a killer tone.

I've owned a couple of BTBs - liked the tone, hated everything else. Very good basses, just not my cup of tea. Same goes to ATKs.

19. jefwho

jefwho

I love my ATK 700!

20. OriginalSnub

OriginalSnub

I really like the Ibanez Artcore series.

21. strat56

strat56

Only Ibanez bass I've ever owned or played is the SR505. I love it, it's my go to bass. I prefer to play it over my old go to bass which is a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5.

The neck and the weight are just so much more comfortable for me on the SR.