1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question for the ladies only please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I'm wanting to know what kind of bass you feel most comfortable playing.

The info I'm interested in is brand/model, scale length, number of strings, string spacing, etc.

I just want to get a feel for what type of basses women feel suit them best.

Thanks for your time :)
  2. JFOC

JFOC

well Im a guy but Kim Deal inspired me to play bass...she seems to like P-basses & musicman.

Carol Kaye is a legend & sponsored by Ibanez so thats what she plays

Kim Gordon is all over the map but seems to like Gibson Eb & thunderbirds
  3. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

troll??:bag:
  4. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Not trolling at all. OP has a valid question.
  5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

No, why do you say that?

After playing a million basses (ok, slight exaggeration) I can't seem to find one that I feel best with. So I want to see what other women play, and maybe try those out.
  6. DandersonCooper

DandersonCooper

From my experience, I have learned that it is never a good idea, to try to ask such a loaded question.

I once dated a musician who was shopping at a local GC. One of the employees approached her and said that the particular guitar may be too heavy for her, and that she should pick a selection of guitars that were more suitable for girls. She was seconds away from swinging that Les Paul into his face (her main axes were in fact vintage les pauls). Her rage carried on for several days.

Since then, Ive always seen every kind of instrument suitable for all age, sex, size. If you're passionate about playing a certain instrument, its specifics will not make a difference to you.
  7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I don't really get how it's a loaded question. My apologies if it seems that way. I'm not planning on suggesting that the ladies of TalkBass switch to a different bass!
  8. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

It's most interesting how anytime a post requests responses from a very specific group of people, someone who is not part of that group always feels compelled to share their opinion.

I'm a 5'4" gal with short fingers. I have a large number of 5-string basses, but the ones I find most comfortable are Ibanez SRs and Deans with skinny necks, 45 mm nuts and 16.5 mm string spacing at the bridge.
  9. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Thank you :) I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Any you're not in any way offended or incensed that I asked this question? ;)
  10. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I don't see why anyone would be offended by your question. That would be like your or me getting upset about the "Hey guys, I've got a woman situation, so what should I do?" questions that surface from time to time.

There aren't a lot of ladies hanging around here, so what is so awful about asking what gear we prefer? Someone must have bored and was trying to stir the pot.

11. DandersonCooper

DandersonCooper

Hah, no I wasnt bored or trying to stir the pot. From my experience, questions like these would lead opposite sex into intense arguments. Maybe I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Anywho.... interesting thread so far, carry on!
  12. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Let's try it this way.

What is it about your current bass that makes it uncomfortable?

Start there.

If its weight, try Ibanez. Great basses (even for P tones with the right one), decent price, highly available.

Figure out what it is that you DON'T like about your P-basses (like nothing, duh!!), and go from there.
  13. Titania

Titania

I'm 5'4" with tiny hands, and I play a Rickenbacker 4003. I started out playing an Ibanez, but have found it less tiring and more enjoyable to play a bass with a fretboard that tapers less. Neck width at the nut on my Rick is 1 11/16"

Scale length doesn't bother me much. I have to reach a bit to tune, but I'm used to it.

I currently play 4-stringers, but have played an Ibanez 5 and was fine with it. I can't see any situation where I would buy a 6-stringer, the fretboards are too wide for me.
  14. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Ladies love my Longhorn Danelectro.
  15. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

I think the lady has a very legit question and is quite to the point on specifics she is looking for. Heck, I seen threads go on for pages and pages on what color pickguard to get.

Not a troll thread at all.
  16. Titania

Titania

One bass I absolutely CAN'T play...Thunderbird. It is not bosom friendly, and that's a perspective you just won't get from out male tbass members. :). I am picky about upper horn shape from a comfort perspective.
  17. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Full size jazz basses not so much. The body is just too big and clunky. P basses are fine and seem to balance well with the female body. (probably why you see so many women playing them) Personally I love the scaled down bodies of the Sadowsky Vintages and Will Lee's. Spector is another brand I like for the body feel and comfort. Zon's are also very comfy.
  18. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Mrs F has 3 that she plays regularly: an old Ibanez SR200 she's been playing since she was 14, a Warwick Streamer (Rockbass) and a Pedulla Rapture. The Ibanez is a 4-stringer, the others are 5ers.
  19. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]
  20. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

My EBMM Reflex HSS4 is the most comfortable bass I've ever played. I'm not sure I can tell you why. :meh: