Question for the lazy ...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ChopperDave, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh! Supporting Member

I'm looking to refin a midnight blue Affinity P body. I've done it before to a Squier J, using a heat gun to strip and some Minwax stain to finish (I like it matte).

So here's the scenario: Let's just say I'm
    a) finishing in a metallic paint this time, and
    b) feeling pretty damn lazy

Do I really need to go through the stripping process, or can I just sand the body some and spray it? I was going to go with a rattle-can finish anyway, but if that means I don't have to strip it, then I get a whole afternoon back (which I'll probably just waste anyway ...).

Thanks!

2. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Sand the original finish to give the new paint something to adhere to. Clean & prep bass for painting as per usual.

Fender used to (and probably still does) paint over botched sunbursts and other colours, so no reason why you can't too. Then you can also relic it so the old finish shows through the new finish, as per the pics below, courtesy of the Vintage Guitar Info Guy's site:

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. ChopperDave

Great! I've always wanted a Charcoal Metallic Gray finish. It was the first car color I really noticed--the first that really awed me with its dimension and seriousness on the 1990 300ZX (okay, the 89 Maxima ... but the Z is cool, too!)

4. ChopperDave

Any recommendation on the sandpaper grit?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Block sand it with 400 grit until all.the gloss ia completely gone.

7. ChopperDave

So far, so good ... other than breathing in more polyurethane than I probably should have, I sanded down the body without incident.

The pickups (SD 1/4-lb) and paint (charcoal metallic gray) should be here today. Given the dry time of the paint (1 hour), I should be playing this puppy tonight.

EDIT: Paint should be here Tuesday ... Amazon Prime seems to have changed the rules a bit.