1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Question for those who replaced the Pickups in their MIM Jazz.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BornboreD, Feb 12, 2013.

1. BornboreD

BornboreD

I have a MIM Jazz which I need to replace the pickups in. Serial # dates it as being made in 2000 and thus has identical sized routes. Meaning both pickups are neck dimensions.

My question is, do they have to be replaced with identical (neck) dimensioned pickups?? Or do the routes accommodate dropping in a standard set of replacements such as Model J's or custom 60's??
  2. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

I put new pickups in my MIM Jbass (it's a 1991 model); the hole for the neck pick up had to be chiseled out a bit, and then I could drop in the other pickups with no problems.
  3. jad

jad

Same here, I made the bridge route ever so slightly larger with a narrow chisel. Note that I did not say hammer and chisel. Most of what I removed was paint. It was very easy. Don't limit your choices because if the routes.
  4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

If you don't want to do any chiseling, if you order new, most after market winders will send you 2 neck sized pickups.
  5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

I also have 2000 Deluxe Active Jazz Bass. I put in a set of Fender Noiseless SCN pickups and did not have any sizing problems.
  6. vgbob

vgbob

Mine is about 2003 Mexican Jazz and Model J's fit right in.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Mine is a 2002 MIM Jazz V. I presume yours is a 4-banger which may be different. I replaced the pickups in mine with Fender (now discontinued, natch) SCN pickups. They just dropped right in. The difference was simply astounding. Just brought that bass alive and changed it from one I was mostly ignoring in favor of my SX basses to a "go to" bass.

I can't recommend SCN pickups enough...if you can find them.
  8. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Mine is a 2001. I had to gently chisel out the ends of the cavity. Use a sharp narrow wood chisel, and you'll essentially "scrape" about 2mm of wood from each end. That's it.