1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Question for you G&L. GandL Guys/Gals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, Jan 28, 2013.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm been playing a G&L Asat for a while now and I really dig this bass more than the Precisions and Jazzes I had the past couple years. The thing is I like simple basses. I pretty much go with one sound give or take a little bass/treble on some songs so I'm not using the Asat to it's full potential, I don't need the swiss army knife of basses. I control tone on my amp and the way I play, more bass play closer to the neck, treble play near the bridge even use a pick on a few songs.
    Now I do love G&L basses more so than any bass I've had in the past. So I'm thinking of trading/selling my Asat for a SB-2, I do love the 1.5" nut width. Now my question is is there a difference between a newer Sb-2 compared to a vintage one, I know the pickups are difference, are there one's to stay away from ?? I'd like to hear from someone who has played both or made the switch from the Asat to the SB-2 and what do you think, Ive never played a SB-2. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks Guys/Gals and does anyone have a SB-2 they might want to trade ???:bag:

2. iunno

iunno

How do you have the tone controls on your ASAT set up? I don't think you'll be able to get the same tone without that pickup configuration.

3. velalv

velalv

You can get an sb-1, which is the equivalent of a precision bass but voiced differently with the MFD's

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I have L2500s and L2000s...same electronics as your ASAT and I only use a few well tested settings but...so what? You dont have to use 10 different sounds to get the most out of your bass. I wouldnt get rid of the ASAT...if you can financially support it, ADD an SB-2.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i use the 2011 sb-2 for the punk/hardcore stuff, and i use the 1983 l2k for the drone/noise stuff, for me it's kind of a bright and dark thing, supposedly the old style sb-2s are even brighter and might not be appropriate for tone wise for some people

7. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Yes, if you'd like an SB-1 all you have to do is ask the G&L dealer. I don't think it's in their catalog or on the website. I'm ordering an SB-1 one soon. All I can find in stores is the SB-2 which does not appeal to me with that bridge pickup.

8. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Is that your ASAT in the avatar ? no no. I wouldn't get rid of that thing. oh no way

9. nitrofix

Yeah it is. I sometimes think the grass is greener on the other side, sometimes I'm right but then again I'm been wrong and regretted making the switch. Just wanted some opinions on the difference between the two basses.

10. Deaky

Deaky

What strings do you use on your ASAT?

11. Habilis

Habilis Supporting Member

I deeply regret selling my ASAT last year. I had it for 10 years as my only bass, got antsy-pants for a new bass, sold it, have been through 5 basses since then, and only now am I mostly satisfied with its replacement, an EBMM Big Al. I really, REALLY wish I had kept it. So, in short, DON'T SELL IT!

12. nitrofix

Deaky i use Erine Ball slinkys 45-100. I hear what your saying Habilis i just get that antsy-pants for a new bass every once in a while also. Funds are so short around here lately don't think I'll be able to add a SB-2 any time soon. There's a killer looking blue one up on the forum for sale now and just got me thinking...

13. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Oh well, those ASATs are only worth like, 30 bucks...tell you what, Ill give you 50!

:D

14. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

or-----buy a used SB and A/B it and your asat for a month..then sell the guy that isnt for you!

15. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

SB-2's are pretty common. The simplicity is their strength; a narrow range of great sounds. I'm not aware of any dogs in the lineage, and I've owned 3. I have seen some that are very noisy, but mine have been reasonably quiet over the years. There is a big difference between the early year models and the current configuration. I haven't owned an early one so I can't compare. Your ASAT though is a lot rarer. I'd hang onto it if you like it. Save up your dough. There are always SB-2's for sale at all times, and you can always find some good ones, usually at reasonable prices.

16. nitrofix

Sounds good $50 + $850 shipping and it's yours

17. cavedweller

cavedweller

I might consider trading my sb1 for your asat. It is a 94 crimson red,maple neck,black pickguard. It is in great shape and has recently had professional setup. I will try to post a pic soon.

18. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    I tried out a chambered ASAT a few weeks ago and man what nice bass! If I had it I wouldn't trade it, but that's me.

19. mystic38

mystic38

I dont think the sb-2 will give the overall range of tonal options that you can get with your asat..but what the SB-2 does it does real well...

You will take a bath on the asat so i cant recommend selling it...but you can always get a Tribute SB-2 to add to it :D

20. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    So, I have an early 90s SB-2. I just got an L2K and I can't make the same tones with it as the SB-2, they are just completely different basses. The SB-2 is a little noisy, yes. I cannot figure out where that's coming from. It's not overly bright, the L2K is -much- brighter. I can't speak for older SB-2s.

Just because you have a lot of tones available doesn't mean that you need to use more than one. If you trade or sell it for an equivalent value bass that only gives you the one tone use now, what are you gaining? Nothing. What are you losing? The ability to change your tone with the flip of a switch later.

21. nitrofix

AcridSaint you make a good point, I'm going to just keep the Asat and wait til some money drops in my lab and then try to pick up a SB-2.