Question in regards to head/cab power limits.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Weirdo, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Weirdo

Weirdo

Hey all,

As most of you know, recently orange released a Solid State 1000 watt head.
    It's called the OB-1k. It sounds awesome, So i'm pretty well sold on buying one.
    HOWEVER.

I read somewhere that you shouldn't play them through a cab under 1200 watts.. Or maybe it was even 1300. I don't remember.

So i did some research.

Turns out, the only cab with that kind of power is the Orange 810, (8x10) cab.
    Sure, i'd have one. But i cant help but think, for a fraction of the price, i can get an Ampeg 8x10 cab, And just not crank it to 11, and i'll be fine, right?

To the point.
    If i get an OB-1k, And run it though a Fridge, Will i be fine provided i dont blast the volume?
    Or
    If i get an OB-1k, And run it through a Fridge, Will i blow the cab?

End of the day, i think what orange are trying to say is a written warning for the 'i told you so' when someone actually doesnt think and cranks the amp to 11, and blows the speakers of their 800 watt cab.
    But hey, could be wrong.

Jackson
  2. Weirdo

Weirdo

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If not cranking is in your skillset, have fun.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's silly. You can play it through a 100-watt cab as long as you have the presence of mind not to give the cab more than it can take. I play my 800-watt GK MBF800 into my 700-watt Bergantino CN212 all the time. I play the same amp into my 400-watt AE210 at practices every week, too (although the MBF800 makes only 500 watts into that cab).

You conclusion as to Orange making that comment to cover their butt is correct. There are a lot of people who want more volume, so they just keep turning the amp up without considering that their cab isn't up to the task. The key is to know what a distressed speaker sounds like, and turn the amp down when you hear it. If you can't get loud enough, you need more speakers.

Besides, if you put a 1,000-watt head into a 1,300-watt cab, you'll be underpowering your cab.
  5. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

That was a mean thing to do..... You get to respond to all the noobs who are gullible enough to believe this! ;)
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk. Just trying to go with the flow.